Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Thesis statement sentence frame

Thesis statement sentence frame

Oct/Tue/2017 | Uncategorized

Framing your thesis statement by Jai Jackson on Prezi

Thesis statement sentence frame

Buy Essay Online Cheap -
Thesis Statements Topic Sentences

artwork essays This is an example of a first year essay which was given a distinction. Thesis Statement Frame? Click on kcl geography dissertations, the highlights to read the comments. Certain words may be unfamiliar to you. Click on thesis statement frame, them to read their definitions in the glossary. In this essay, the Rococo and Romanticism periods have been selected to demonstrate how two art periods can have many similarities yet still hold true to their own beliefs, values and principles to create a definitive style . Antoine Watteau#039;s painting, L#039;Indifferent , 1716, oil on canvas, 25cm x 18cm and Eugene Delacroix#039;s Paganini , 1831, oil on cardboard on how to write appeal, wood panel, approx. 43cm x 28cm have been selected to represent the Rococo and Romanticism periods respectively . Rococo was a style of art that followed on from the Baroque period in the early 18th century. The artists of this style typically depicted themes of love, artfully and archly pursued through erotic frivolity and playful intrigue . 1 Both the art and interior design of the thesis statement sentence, time displayed a sense of rhythm in which [e]verything seemed organic, growing, and in a2 english motion, an ultimate refinement of illusion. Thesis Frame? 2 The artists of this period were also starting to express themselves and their feelings about their themes in their work. Literature Coursework Scheme? Some of the works seem to be edging toward the ideals of the thesis statement frame, Romanticism period, even though they were at paper docs, opposite ends of the 18th century . Romanticism in the late 18th century was a revolt against the sober restraint of the Enlightenment period that had preceded it. 3 This was a period encompassing the thesis sentence frame, desire for freedom - not only political freedom but also freedom of thought, of feeling, of action, of worship, of speech and of taste. 4 Artists wanted only to produce pure, truthful art that was based on the predominance of kcl geography dissertations, feeling and imagination.

5 Works in the Romantic period depict not only the Romantic ideal of love but also #039;Gothic#039; horror, as this too could be explored to thesis statement frame discover the #039;sublime#039; . The works discussed in this essay share obvious similarities. They are both portraits of performers in full, in the context of their performing environment. In Watteau#039;s L#039;Indifferent , there is how to write appeal a sense of the subject posing for the portrait in thesis statement sentence a very festive manner which is characteristic of the Rococo period. By contrast, in Delacroix#039;s Paganini the performer seems to carry himself with a much more intrinsic purpose, perhaps enacting a more truthful value that is typical of the Romantic ideal. There is, nevertheless, a similarity in the two poses that suggests motion, as both performers seem to be caught in mid movement. This dynamic quality was not typical of the other art movements prior to or during the 18th century, where portraits tended to depict people in staid, sober poses . Watteau#039;s painting of the dancer seems soft and a2 english mark, flouncy, yet it is obvious that it is a well thought out work.

The writer#039;s choice of language have indicated the conditional nature of the thesis, observations. The colours are used to compliment and support the painting#039;s composition, with the hue of the foliage seemingly reflected in the velvet of the dancer#039;s clothes . The colour used in how to write the cape has also been added to the accessories on the shoe and hat. Both of these examples of the thesis statement frame, use of colour show how the clever composition of the painting successfully draws the viewer#039;s eye around it. When expressing the difference between the Baroque and Rococo periods, one art critic noted that [Rococo] aimed no longer at astounding the spectator with the marvellous, but rather at amusing him with the ingenious. 6 This statement demonstrates that the attention to compositional detail is both a necessary element of the Rococo period and paper docs, also of this work by Watteau . Delacroix#039;s painting Paganini also displays a strong attention to colour . Statement Sentence? However , in this case, it is not just a compositional element, but also contributes to the highly emotive nature of the painting. The colours could be seen to suggest the way the artist felt about the scene before him. This portrayal of the dancer#039;s performance, using the poignant yet subtle blends of dark earthy background colours which contrast with the smooth deep black tones in the figure, enhances the feeling of balance and melody . This combination of art, music, theatre and dance was of high interest to the Romantic artists as it was a great source of the #039;true#039; or #039;pure#039; emotion which they sought to represent . The seemingly fast, fluent brushstrokes indicate and essay, portray the motion and spirit within the performer. The colour and form seem to be of utmost importance, above the statement frame, need for line.

Indeed, a stronger use of line would have contained and possibly even restricted the emotive values in appeal the artwork . This style did not go unnoticed by critics. Both Delacroix and Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres were referred to as Rubenistes and Poussinistes respectively, due to their use of the thesis sentence, #039;academic#039; style of write, line or the #039;romantic#039; truth of colour as the main element in their works, although both are now recognised as Romantic artists. 7. Thesis Statement Sentence? The composition in Paganini is flowing and melodious and is greatly enhanced by the aforementioned use of colour and the form of the performer. The posture has been exaggerated to enhance the Romantic principles within the composition by expressing the emotion roused by the scene. Although there were evident stylistic differences between Rococo and Romanticism, artists in both periods were beginning to express what they wanted to see in the scenes before them. Where Rococo was a time of idealising the frivolity of the upper classes, Romanticism idealised the world around the upper classes, depicting the good, the bad, and the ugly equally by looking for the sublime in everything. Both paintings discussed in this essay provide great insight into their own periods but also into the foundation of the Expressionist movement of the 20th century . Brookner, A. Appeal? Romanticism and its discontents , London: Penguin, 2000. Honour, H. Statement Sentence? Romanticism , London: Penguin, 1979. Kleiner, F., Mamiya C. and essay for kids, Tansey, R., Gardener#039;s art through the ages , 11th ed. Orlando: Harcourt College Publishers, 2001.

Minor, V. Baroque and Rococo: Art and culture , New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1999. Statement Sentence Frame? Peckham, M. Number James? The birth of Romanticism 1790-1815 , Florida: Penkevill Publishing Company, 1986. #039;Rococo#039;, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo accessed 7.8.2006. #039;Romanticism#039;, Wikipedia, the sentence frame, free encyclopedia , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism, accessed 7.8.06. 1 F. Kleiner, C. Mamiya and R. Kcl Geography? Tansey, Gardener#039;s art through the ages , 11th ed., (Orlando: Harcourt College Publishers, 2001), p. 785. 2 F. Kleiner, C. Mamiya and R. Tansey, Gardener#039;s art through the ages , p. 783. 3 #039;Romanticism#039;, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism, accessed 7.8.06. 4 F. Kleiner, C. Mamiya and R. Tansey, Gardener#039;s art through the ages , p. 863. 5 F. Kleiner, C. Mamiya and R. Tansey, Gardener#039;s art through the thesis sentence frame, ages , p. 863. A2 English Mark? 6 V. Sentence? Minor, Baroque and Rococo: Art and culture, (New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1999), p 14. Kcl Geography? 7 F. Kleiner, C. Mamiya and R. Tansey, Gardener#039;s art through the ages , p. 870. Problems?

Questions? Comments? Please provide us feedback.

Essay Writer for All Kinds of Papers -
Writing the Thesis Statement Sentence

natures beauty essay A subtle chain of countless rings. The next unto the farthest brings; The eye reads omens where it goes, And speaks all languages the rose; And, striving to be man, the worm. Mounts through all the spires of form. Introduction Our age is retrospective. It builds the sepulchres of the fathers. It writes biographies, histories, and criticism.

The foregoing generations beheld God and nature face to face; we, through their eyes. Why should not we also enjoy an original relation to the universe? Why should not we have a poetry and philosophy of insight and not of tradition, and a religion by revelation to thesis statement sentence us, and not the history of essay number 10 federalist james madison maintained, theirs? Embosomed for a season in nature, whose floods of life stream around and through us, and invite us by the powers they supply, to thesis statement frame action proportioned to nature, why should we grope among the dry bones of the past, or put the living generation into masquerade out of its faded wardrobe? The sun shines to-day also. There is more wool and flax in the fields. There are new lands, new men, new thoughts. Let us demand our own works and laws and worship. Undoubtedly we have no questions to ask which are unanswerable.

We must trust the perfection of the creation so far, as to believe that whatever curiosity the 10 federalist madison, order of things has awakened in our minds, the thesis statement sentence frame, order of things can satisfy. Every man's condition is a solution in hieroglyphic to those inquiries he would put. A2 English Coursework Mark. He acts it as life, before he apprehends it as truth. Sentence Frame. In like manner, nature is already, in its forms and tendencies, describing its own design. Let us interrogate the essay, great apparition, that shines so peacefully around us. Thesis Sentence. Let us inquire, to what end is nature?

All science has one aim, namely, to find a theory of nature. We have theories of races and of functions, but scarcely yet a remote approach to an idea of creation. We are now so far from the road to truth, that religious teachers dispute and hate each other, and essay number 10 federalist maintained speculative men are esteemed unsound and statement frivolous. But to a sound judgment, the most abstract truth is the most practical. Whenever a true theory appears, it will be its own evidence. Its test is, that it will explain all phenomena. Now many are thought not only unexplained but inexplicable; as language, sleep, madness, dreams, beasts, sex. Philosophically considered, the a2 english literature coursework mark, universe is composed of Nature and the Soul.

Strictly speaking, therefore, all that is separate from us, all which Philosophy distinguishes as the NOT ME, that is, both nature and art, all other men andmy own body, must be ranked under this name, NATURE. In enumerating the values of nature and casting up their sum, I shall use the word in both senses; -- in its common and in its philosophical import. In inquiries so general as our present one, the inaccuracy is not material; no confusion of thought will occur. Nature, in the common sense, refers to essences unchanged by man; space, the sentence, air, the river, the leaf. Art is applied to the mixture of his will with the paper titles, same things, as in a house, a canal, a statue, a picture. But his operations taken together are so insignificant, a little chipping, baking, patching, and washing, that in an impression so grand as that of the world on the human mind, they do not vary the result. Chapter I NATURE To go into solitude, a man needs to retire as much from his chamber as from society. I am not solitary whilst I read and write, though nobody is with me. But if a man would be alone, let him look at the stars. The rays that come from thesis statement frame those heavenly worlds, will separate between him and what he touches.

One might think the atmosphere was made transparent with this design, to give man, in the heavenly bodies, the perpetual presence of the sublime. Seen in the streets of cities, how great they are! If the essay number 10 federalist madison maintained, stars should appear one night in sentence frame, a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and how to write appeal preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile. The stars awaken a certain reverence, because though always present, they are inaccessible; but all natural objects make a kindred impression, when the mind is open to their influence. Nature never wears a mean appearance. Neither does the wisest man extort her secret, and lose his curiosity by finding out all her perfection. Nature never became a toy to a wise spirit. Thesis Statement. The flowers, the animals, the mountains, reflected the wisdom of his best hour, as much as they had delighted the simplicity of essay number, his childhood. When we speak of nature in this manner, we have a distinct but most poetical sense in the mind.

We mean the integrity of impression made by statement sentence, manifold natural objects. It is this which distinguishes the stick of timber of the wood-cutter, from the research, tree of the poet. The charming landscape which I saw this morning, is indubitably made up of some twenty or thirty farms. Thesis Frame. Miller owns this field, Locke that, and Manning the woodland beyond. But none of them owns the landscape. There is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the essay, parts, that is, the poet. This is the best part of these men's farms, yet to this their warranty-deeds give no title.

To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the statement, child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of paper google docs, infancy even into the era of manhood. His intercourse with heaven and earth, becomes part of his daily food. In the thesis statement sentence, presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. A2 English Coursework Mark Scheme. Nature says, -- he is my creature, and maugre all his impertinent griefs, he shall be glad with me. Not the sun or the summer alone, but every hour and season yields its tribute of delight; for every hour and change corresponds to and authorizes a different state of the mind, from breathless noon to grimmest midnight. Nature is a setting that fits equally well a comic or a mourning piece. In good health, the air is a cordial of incredible virtue.

Crossing a bare common, in snow puddles, at twilight, under a clouded sky, without having in my thoughts any occurrence of special good fortune, I have enjoyed a perfect exhilaration. I am glad to thesis statement the brink of fear. In the woods too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the essay on courage, woods, is perpetual youth. Within these plantations of God, a decorum and sanctity reign, a perennial festival is dressed, and the guest sees not how he should tire of them in a thousand years. In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, -- no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, -- my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, -- all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God.

The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintances, -- master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the thesis, wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature. The greatest delight which the fields and woods minister, is the james madison maintained, suggestion of an occult relation between man and sentence the vegetable. I am not alone and unacknowledged. Kcl Geography. They nod to me, and I to them. The waving of the boughs in the storm, is new to me and old. It takes me by thesis sentence frame, surprise, and yet is not unknown. Its effect is write, like that of a higher thought or a better emotion coming over me, when I deemed I was thinking justly or doing right. Yet it is certain that the power to produce this delight, does not reside in nature, but in man, or in a harmony of both.

It is necessary to use these pleasures with great temperance. For, nature is not always tricked in holiday attire, but the thesis, same scene which yesterday breathed perfume and glittered as for the frolic of the nymphs, is overspread with melancholy today. Nature always wears the colors of the spirit. To a man laboring under calamity, the heat of his own fire hath sadness in it. On Courage. Then, there is a kind of contempt of the landscape felt by him who has just lost by death a dear friend. The sky is less grand as it shuts down over less worth in the population.

Chapter II COMMODITY Whoever considers the final cause of the world, will discern a multitude of sentence, usesthat result. They all admit of being thrown into one of the how to write, following classes; Commodity; Beauty; Language; and Discipline. Under the statement, general name of Commodity, I rank all those advantages which our senses owe to nature. This, of course, is a benefit which is temporary and write appeal mediate, not ultimate, like its service to the soul. Yet although low, it is perfect in its kind, and is the only use of nature which all men apprehend. The misery of man appears like childish petulance, when we explore the steady and prodigal provision that has been made for his support and delight on this green ball which floats him through the heavens. What angels invented these splendid ornaments, these rich conveniences, this ocean of air above, this ocean of water beneath, this firmament of earth between? this zodiac of lights, this tent of dropping clouds, this striped coat of climates, this fourfold year? Beasts, fire, water, stones, and thesis statement sentence frame corn serve him. The field is at once his floor, his work-yard, his play-ground, his garden, and his bed. More servants wait on man. Than he 'll take notice of. ------ Nature, in its ministry to man, is not only the material, but is also the process and the result.

All the parts incessantly work into each other's hands for the profit of essay for kids, man. The wind sows the seed; the sun evaporates the sea; the wind blows the vapor to the field; the ice, on the other side of the planet, condenses rain on this; the sentence, rain feeds the plant; the plant feeds the animal; and thus the endless circulations of the divine charity nourish man. The useful arts are reproductions or new combinations by the wit of man, of the same natural benefactors. He no longer waits for favoring gales, but by a2 english literature scheme, means of steam, he realizes the fable of Aeolus's bag, and carries the two and thirty winds in the boiler of his boat. To diminish friction, he paves the road with iron bars, and, mounting a coach with a ship-load of thesis sentence frame, men, animals, and merchandise behind him, he darts through the country, from town to town, like an eagle or a swallow through the air.

By the research paper, aggregate of these aids, how is the face of the world changed, from the era of sentence frame, Noah to that of Napoleon! The private poor man hath cities, ships, canals, bridges, built for him. He goes to the post-office, and the human race run on his errands; to the book-shop, and the human race read and write of all that happens, for him; to the court-house, and nations repair his wrongs. Literature Coursework Scheme. He sets his house upon the road, and the human race go forth every morning, and thesis sentence shovel out the snow, and cut a path for him. But there is how to, no need of specifying particulars in this class of uses. The catalogue is endless, and the examples so obvious, that I shall leave them to thesis statement the reader's reflection, with the general remark, that this mercenary benefit is one which has respect to a farther good. A man is fed, not that he may be fed, but that he may work.

Chapter III BEAUTY A nobler want of man is served by nature, namely, the love of Beauty. The ancient Greeks called the world , beauty. For Kids. Such is the constitution of all things, or such the plastic power of the human eye, that the primary forms, as the sky, the mountain, the tree, the statement, animal, give us a delight in and for themselves; a pleasure arising from outline, color, motion, and grouping. This seems partly owing to the eye itself. Kcl Geography Dissertations. The eye is the best of artists. By the mutual action of its structure and of the laws of light, perspective is produced, which integrates every mass of objects, of what character soever, into a well colored and shaded globe, so that where the particular objects are mean and unaffecting, the landscape which they compose, is round and symmetrical. And as the eye is the best composer, so light is the first of painters. Statement Frame. There is no object so foul that intense light will not make beautiful. Term Paper. And the stimulus it affords to the sense, and a sort of infinitude which it hath, like space and time, make all matter gay.

Even the corpse has its own beauty. Statement Sentence. But besides this general grace diffused over nature, almost all the for kids, individual forms are agreeable to the eye, as is proved by our endless imitations of statement sentence, some of how to, them, as the acorn, the grape, the pine-cone, the wheat-ear, the egg, the wings and forms of most birds, the lion's claw, the thesis frame, serpent, the butterfly, sea-shells, flames, clouds, buds, leaves, and the forms of many trees, as the palm. For better consideration, we may distribute the aspects of Beauty in a threefold manner. 1. First, the simple perception of natural forms is a delight. The influence of the how to appeal, forms and actions in nature, is so needful to man, that, in its lowest functions, it seems to lie on the confines of commodity and beauty. To the body and mind which have been cramped by noxious work or company, nature is medicinal and restores their tone. The tradesman, the attorney comes out of the din and craft of the street, and sees the sky and frame the woods, and number 10 federalist madison maintained is a man again. In their eternal calm, he finds himself. The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon.

We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough. But in other hours, Nature satisfies by its loveliness, and without any mixture of corporeal benefit. I see the spectacle of morning from the hill-top over against my house, from day-break to thesis statement sentence sun-rise, with emotions which an angel might share. The long slender bars of cloud float like fishes in research paper, the sea of sentence, crimson light. From the earth, as a shore, I look out into that silent sea. I seem to partake its rapid transformations: the active enchantment reaches my dust, and essay 10 federalist james madison maintained I dilate and thesis sentence conspire with the morning wind. How does Nature deify us with a few and cheap elements!

Give me health and a day, and I will make the pomp of literature coursework, emperors ridiculous. The dawn is my Assyria; the sun-set and moon-rise my Paphos, and unimaginable realms of faerie; broad noon shall be my England of the senses and the understanding; the night shall be my Germany of mystic philosophy and dreams. Not less excellent, except for statement sentence our less susceptibility in the afternoon, was the charm, last evening, of a January sunset. The western clouds divided and subdivided themselves into pink flakes modulated with tints of unspeakable softness; and the air had so much life and sweetness, that it was a pain to come within doors. What was it that nature would say? Was there no meaning in the live repose of the paper titles, valley behind the mill, and which Homer or Shakspeare could not reform for me in words? The leafless trees become spires of flame in the sunset, with the blue east for thesis statement sentence frame their back-ground, and the stars of the dead calices of google, flowers, and every withered stem and stubble rimed with frost, contribute something to the mute music.

The inhabitants of cities suppose that the country landscape is pleasant only half the year. I please myself with the graces of the winter scenery, and believe that we are as much touched by it as by the genial influences of summer. To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which shall never be seen again. The heavens change every moment, and reflect their glory or gloom on thesis sentence frame, the plains beneath. Mark Scheme. The state of the crop in the surrounding farms alters the expression of the earth from week to week. The succession of native plants in statement, the pastures and roadsides, which makes the silent clock by which time tells the summer hours, will make even the divisions of the day sensible to a keen observer. The tribes of mark, birds and insects, like the plants punctual to thesis frame their time, follow each other, and paper the year has room for sentence frame all. By water-courses, the variety is greater. In July, the james maintained, blue pontederia or pickerel-weed blooms in large beds in the shallow parts of our pleasant river, and swarms with yellow butterflies in continual motion. Art cannot rival this pomp of purple and gold. Indeed the river is a perpetual gala, and boasts each month a new ornament.

But this beauty of Nature which is seen and statement frame felt as beauty, is the madison maintained, least part. The shows of day, the dewy morning, the rainbow, mountains, orchards in blossom, stars, moonlight, shadows in still water, and the like, if too eagerly hunted, become shows merely, and mock us with their unreality. Go out of the house to see the thesis statement frame, moon, and 't is mere tinsel; it will not please as when its light shines upon your necessary journey. The beauty that shimmers in the yellow afternoons of October, who ever could clutch it? Go forth to find it, and it is gone: 't is only a mirage as you look from the windows of diligence.

2. The presence of a higher, namely, of the spiritual element is essential to its perfection. The high and divine beauty which can be loved without effeminacy, is that which is found in combination with the human will. Beauty is the mark God sets upon virtue. Every natural action is graceful. Every heroic act is how to write appeal, also decent, and causes the place and the bystanders to shine. Statement Sentence. We are taught by great actions that the universe is the property of every individual in it. Every rational creature has all nature for his dowry and estate. It is his, if he will.

He may divest himself of it; he may creep into a corner, and abdicate his kingdom, as most men do, but he is entitled to the world by his constitution. In proportion to the energy of his thought and coursework scheme will, he takes up the world into himself. All those things for which men plough, build, or sail, obey virtue; said Sallust. The winds and waves, said Gibbon, are always on the side of the statement sentence frame, ablest navigators. So are the sun and essay moon and all the stars of heaven. When a noble act is done, -- perchance in a scene of great natural beauty; when Leonidas and his three hundred martyrs consume one day in dying, and the sun and moon come each and look at them once in the steep defile of Thermopylae; when Arnold Winkelried, in the high Alps, under the shadow of the avalanche, gathers in his side a sheaf of Austrian spears to break the line for thesis statement sentence frame his comrades; are not these heroes entitled to add the beauty of the research google, scene to the beauty of the deed? When the bark of Columbus nears the shore of America; -- before it, the beach lined with savages, fleeing out of all their huts of cane; the sea behind; and the purple mountains of the Indian Archipelago around, can we separate the man from the thesis statement frame, living picture? Does not the New World clothe his form with her palm-groves and savannahs as fit drapery? Ever does natural beauty steal in like air, and envelope great actions. When Sir Harry Vane was dragged up the Tower-hill, sitting on a sled, to suffer death, as the champion of the English laws, one of the multitude cried out to him, You never sate on so glorious a seat.

Charles II., to intimidate the citizens of London, caused the patriot Lord Russel to be drawn in an open coach, through the principal streets of the how to write, city, on his way to the scaffold. But, his biographer says, the multitude imagined they saw liberty and virtue sitting by his side. In private places, among sordid objects, an act of truth or heroism seems at once to draw to itself the sky as its temple, the sun as its candle. Statement Sentence Frame. Nature stretcheth out her arms to maintained embrace man, only let his thoughts be of equal greatness. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame. Willingly does she follow his steps with the rose and the violet, and bend her lines of grandeur and grace to the decoration of her darling child.

Only let his thoughts be of equal scope, and the frame will suit the picture. A virtuous man is in unison with her works, and makes the central figure of the visible sphere. Homer, Pindar, Socrates, Phocion, associate themselves fitly in our memory with the geography and climate of Greece. The visible heavens and earth sympathize with Jesus. And in common life, whosoever has seen a person of powerful character and happy genius, will have remarked how easily he took all things along with him, -- the persons, the titles, opinions, and the day, and nature became ancillary to a man.

3. There is still another aspect under which the beauty of the world may be viewed, namely, as it become s an object of the intellect. Beside the relation of things to statement sentence frame virtue, they have a relation to thought. Kcl Geography Dissertations. The intellect searches out the absolute order of things as they stand in the mind of God, and without the colors of affection. Thesis Statement Frame. The intellectual and the active powers seem to succeed each other, and the exclusive activity of the one, generates the exclusive activity of the other. There is something unfriendly in dissertations, each to the other, but they are like the alternate periods of feeding and working in thesis sentence frame, animals; each prepares and will be followed by research paper, the other. Therefore does beauty, which, in relation to actions, as we have seen, comes unsought, and comes because it is unsought, remain for the apprehension and pursuit of the intellect; and then again, in its turn, of the active power. Statement Sentence. Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation.

All men are in some degree impressed by the face of the world; some men even to delight. This love of beauty is Taste. Others have the same love in such excess, that, not content with admiring, they seek to embody it in new forms. The creation of beauty is Art. The production of a work of art throws a light upon the mystery of humanity. A work of on courage for kids, art is an abstract or epitome of the world. It is the sentence, result or expression of essay number 10 federalist james madison maintained, nature, in miniature. For, although the works of nature are innumerable and sentence all different, the result or the expression of them all is similar and how to single. Nature is a sea of forms radically alike and even unique. A leaf, a sun-beam, a landscape, the ocean, make an sentence, analogous impression on the mind. Google. What is sentence frame, common to them all, -- that perfectness and harmony, is beauty.

The standard of beauty is the entire circuit of natural forms, -- the totality of kcl geography, nature; which the Italians expressed by defining beauty il piu nell' uno. Statement Sentence Frame. Nothing is quite beautiful alone: nothing but is beautiful in the whole. A single object is kcl geography dissertations, only so far beautiful as it suggests this universal grace. The poet, the painter, the sculptor, the musician, the sentence, architect, seek each to concentrate this radiance of the world on one point, and each in his several work to satisfy the love of beauty which stimulates him to produce. Thus is Art, a nature passed through the alembic of man. Thus in art, does nature work through the will of a man filled with the beauty of her first works. The world thus exists to the soul to satisfy the desire of beauty. This element I call an ultimate end. No reason can be asked or given why the soul seeks beauty. Beauty, in its largest and profoundest sense, is write appeal, one expression for the universe.

God is the all-fair. Truth, and thesis statement sentence goodness, and beauty, are but different faces of the paper docs, same All. But beauty in nature is thesis statement frame, not ultimate. It is the herald of inward and titles eternal beauty, and is not alone a solid and satisfactory good. It must stand as a part, and not as yet the last or highest expression of the final cause of Nature. Chapter IV LANGUAGE Language is a third use which Nature subserves to man. Nature is the vehble, and thesis frame threefold degree. 1. Words are signs of natural facts.

2. Particular natural facts are symbols of particular spiritual facts. 3. Nature is the symbol of spirit. 1. Words are signs of natural facts. Kcl Geography Dissertations. The use of natural history is to thesis frame give us aid in supernatural history: the use of the outer creation, to give us language for the beings and changes of the inward creation. Every word which is for kids, used to statement frame express a moral or intellectual fact, if traced to its root, is found to be borrowed from some material appearance. How To Appeal. Right means straight ; wrong means twisted . Spirit primarily means wind ; transgression , the crossing of a line ; supercilious , the raising of the sentence frame, eyebrow . We say the heart to express emotion, the head to denote thought; and thought and emotion a re words borrowed from essay for kids sensible things, and now appropriated to spiritual nature. Most of the process by which this transformation is made, is hidden from us in the remote time when language was framed; but the same tendency may be daily observed in children.

Children and savages use only statement sentence, nouns or names of things, which they convert into verbs, and apply to analogous mental acts. 2. But this origin of all words that convey a spiritual import, -- so conspicuous a fact in research paper, the history of language, -- is our least debt to thesis statement frame nature. It is not words only that are emblematic; it is things which are emblematic. Every natural fact is paper docs, a symbol of some spiritual fact. Every appearance in nature corresponds to some state of the mind, and that state of the mind can only be described by statement sentence frame, presenting that natural appearance as its picture. An enraged man is a lion, a cunning man is a fox, a firm man is a rock, a learned man is a torch. How To. A lamb is innocence; a snake is subtle spite; flowers express to us the delicate affections. Light and darkness are our familiar expression for knowledge and ignorance; and heat for love. Statement Sentence Frame. Visible distance behind and before us, is respectively our image of memory and hope.

Who looks upon a river in google docs, a meditative hour, and is not reminded of the flux of all things? Throw a stone into statement sentence frame the stream, and the circles that propagate themselves are the beautiful type of all influence. Write. Man is sentence, conscious of a universal soul within or behind his individual life, wherein, as in a firmament, the natures of Justice, Truth, Love, Freedom, arise and kcl geography dissertations shine. This universal soul, he calls Reason: it is not mine, or thine, or his, but we are its; we are its property and men. And the blue sky in which the private earth is buried, the sky with its eternal calm, and full of everlasting orbs, is the type of Reason.

That which, intellectually considered, we call Reason, considered in relation to thesis sentence frame nature, we call Spirit. Spirit is the Creator. Spirit hath life in itself. And man in all ages and countries, embodies it in his language, as the FATHER. It is paper titles, easily seen that there is nothing lucky or capricious in these analogies, but that they are constant, and pervade nature. These are not the dreams of thesis frame, a few poets, here and there, but man is an analogist, and paper google studies relations in all objects. Thesis Sentence. He is placed in the centre of beings, and a ray of relation passes from every other being to him. Literature Coursework Scheme. And neither can man be understood without these objects, nor these objects without man. All the facts in natural history taken by themselves, have no value, but are barren, like a single sex.

But marry it to human history, and thesis frame it is full of life. On Courage. Whole Floras, all Linnaeus' and Buffon's volumes, are dry catalogues of facts; but the most trivial of these facts, the sentence, habit of a plant, the organs, or work, or noise of an insect, applied to the illustration of a fact in intellectual philosophy, or, in any way associated to human nature, affects us in the most lively and agreeable manner. Paper Titles. The seed of a plant, -- to what affecting analogies in the nature of man, is that little fruit made use of, in all discourse, up to the voice of thesis frame, Paul, who calls the human corpse a seed, -- It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. The motion of the earth round its axis, and round the sun, makes the day, and the year. These are certain amounts of brute light and heat. But is essay on courage, there no intent of an thesis, analogy between man's life and the seasons? And do the seasons gain no grandeur or pathos from how to write appeal that analogy? The instincts of the ant are very unimportant, considered as the ant's; but the moment a ray of relation is sentence frame, seen to extend from it to dissertations man, and the little drudge is seen to be a monitor, a little body with a mighty heart, then all its habits, even that said to be recently observed, that it never sleeps, become sublime. Because of this radical correspondence between visible things and sentence human thoughts, savages, who have only what is necessary, converse in essay on courage, figures. As we go back in history, language becomes more picturesque, until its infancy, when it is all poetry; or all spiritual facts are represented by natural symbols.

The same symbols are found to sentence frame make the original elements of all languages. It has moreover been observed, that the idioms of all languages approach each other in passages of the greatest eloquence and power. And as this is the first language, so is it the last. This immediate dependence of write, language upon nature, this conversion of an outward phenomenon into a type of somewhat in human life, never loses its power to affect us. It is this which gives that piquancy to the conversation of a strong-natured farmer or back-woodsman, which all men relish. A man's power to connect his thought with its proper symbol, and so to utter it, depends on the simplicity of his character, that is, upon his love of truth, and his desire to communicate it without loss.

The corruption of man is followed by the corruption of language. When simplicity of character and the sovereignty of ideas is thesis statement sentence, broken up by the prevalence of secondary desires, the desire of riches, of pleasure, of power, and term titles of praise, -- and duplicity and falsehood take place of simplicity and truth, the power over nature as an interpreter of the will, is in a degree lost; new imagery ceases to be created, and old words are perverted to stand for things which are not; a paper currency is employed, when there is no bullion in the vaults. In due time, the fraud is manifest, and words lose all power to stimulate the understanding or the affections. Hundreds of thesis, writers may be found in every long-civilized nation, who for research paper a short time believe, and make others believe, that they see and utter truths, who do not of themselves clothe one thought in statement sentence frame, its natural garment, but who feed unconsciously on the language created by the primary writers of the country, those, namely, who hold primarily on nature. But wise men pierce this rotten diction and fasten words again to write appeal visible things; so that picturesque language is at once a commanding certificate that he who employs it, is a man in alliance with truth and God. The moment our discourse rises above the thesis statement frame, ground line of familiar facts, and is inflamed with passion or exalted by thought, it clothes itself in images. A man conversing in earnest, if he watch his intellectual processes, will find that a material image, more or less luminous, arises in how to appeal, his mind, cotemporaneous with every thought, which furnishes the vestment of the thought. Statement Sentence Frame. Hence, good writing and brilliant discourse are perpetual allegories. This imagery is spontaneous. It is the blending of experience with the present action of the titles, mind.

It is proper creation. It is the working of the Original Cause through the instruments he has already made. These facts may suggest the advantage which the country-life possesses for a powerful mind, over the artificial and curtailed life of cities. We know more from statement sentence frame nature than we can at will communicate. Its light flows into the mind evermore, and we forget its presence. A2 English. The poet, the orator, bred in the woods, whose senses have been nourished by their fair and appeasing changes, year after year, without design and without heed, -- shall not lose their lesson altogether, in the roar of cities or the broil of politics.

Long hereafter, amidst agitation and terror in national councils, -- in the hour of revolution, -- these solemn images shall reappear in their morning lustre, as fit symbols and words of the statement sentence frame, thoughts which the passing events shall awaken. At the call of essay number 10 federalist maintained, a noble sentiment, again the thesis frame, woods wave, the pines murmur, the river rolls and shines, and the cattle low upon the mountains, as he saw and heard them in his infancy. And with these forms, the spells of persuasion, the keys of power are put into his hands. 3. We are thus assisted by natural objects in the expression of particular meanings. But how great a language to convey such pepper-corn informations! Did it need such noble races of creatures, this profusion of research paper google, forms, this host of orbs in heaven, to furnish man with the dictionary and thesis sentence frame grammar of his municipal speech? Whilst we use this grand cipher to expedite the research docs, affairs of our pot and kettle, we feel that we have not yet put it to its use, neither are able. We are like travellers using the cinders of a volcano to roast their eggs. Whilst we see that it always stands ready to clothe what we would say, we cannot avoid the question, whether the statement frame, characters are not significant of themselves. Have mountains, and waves, and skies, no significance but what we consciously give them, when we employ them as emblems of our thoughts? The world is emblematic.

Parts of speech are metaphors, because the essay, whole of nature is a metaphor of the human mind. The laws of moral nature answer to those of thesis sentence, matter as face to paper face in a glass. The visible world and the relation of its parts, is the dial plate of the invisible. The axioms of physics translate the laws of ethics. Thus, the whole is greater than its part; reaction is equal to action; the smallest weight may be made to lift the greatest, the difference of weight being compensated by time; and many the like propositions, which have an ethical as well as physical sense. These propositions have a much more extensive and universal sense when applied to statement frame human life, than when confined to technical use. In like manner, the memorable words of history, and the proverbs of nations, consist usually of a natural fact, selected as a picture or parable of a moral truth. Thus; A rolling stone gathers no moss; A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush; A cripple in the right way, will beat a racer in the wrong; Make hay while the essay, sun shines; 'T is hard to carry a full cup even; Vinegar is the son of wine; The last ounce broke the camel's back; Long-lived trees make roots first; -- and the like. In their primary sense these are trivial facts, but we repeat them for the value of their analogical import. What is true of thesis statement sentence frame, proverbs, is true of kcl geography dissertations, all fables, parables, and allegories.

This relation between the mind and matter is not fancied by some poet, but stands in the will of God, and so is free to be known by frame, all men. It appears to men, or it does not appear. When in fortunate hours we ponder this miracle, the wise man doubts, if, at all other times, he is a2 english coursework mark, not blind and deaf; ------ Can these things be, And overcome us like a summer's cloud, Without our special wonder? for the universe becomes transparent, and the light of thesis, higher laws than its own, shines through it. It is the standing problem which has exercised the wonder and the study of every fine genius since the world began; from the era of the Egyptians and the Brahmins, to that of Pythagoras, of Plato, of Bacon, of Leibnitz, of Swedenborg. There sits the Sphinx at the road-side, and from age to age, as each prophet comes by, he tries his fortune at reading her riddle.

There seems to be a necessity in spirit to manifest itself in material forms; and day and night, river and storm, beast and bird, acid and alkali, preexist in necessary Ideas in the mind of God, and are what they are by virtue of preceding affections, in the world of spirit. A Fact is the end or last issue of spirit. The visible creation is the terminus or the circumference of the literature coursework mark, invisible world. Material objects, said a French philosopher, are necessarily kinds of statement, scoriae of the substantial thoughts of the Creator, which must always preserve an term titles, exact relation to their first origin; in other words, visible nature must have a spiritual and moral side. This doctrine is abstruse, and though the images of garment, scoriae, mirror, c., may stimulate the fancy, we must summon the aid of subtler and frame more vital expositors to make it plain. Every scripture is to be interpreted by the same spirit which gave it forth, -- is the fundamental law of criticism. A life in harmony with nature, the love of truth and of virtue, will purge the eyes to understand her text. By degrees we may come to know the primitive sense of the term paper, permanent objects of nature, so that the world shall be to us an open book, and every form significant of its hidden life and final cause. A new interest surprises us, whilst, under the view now suggested, we contemplate the fearful extent and multitude of objects; since every object rightly seen, unlocks a new faculty of the soul. That which was unconscious truth, becomes, when interpreted and defined in thesis sentence, an object, a part of the essay, domain of thesis statement frame, knowledge, -- a new weapon in the magazine of power.

Chapter V DISCIPLINE In view of the essay, significance of thesis statement frame, nature, we arrive at once at a new fact, that nature is write appeal, a discipline. This use of the thesis statement sentence frame, world includes the preceding uses, as parts of itself. Space, time, society, labor, climate, food, locomotion, the animals, the mechanical forces, give us sincerest lessons, day by day, whose meaning is unlimited. They educate both the Understanding and the Reason. Mark Scheme. Every property of matter is a school for the understanding, -- its solidity or resistance, its inertia, its extension, its figure, its divisibility. The understanding adds, divides, combines, measures, and finds nutriment and room for its activity in this worthy scene. Meantime, Reason transfers all these lessons into its own world of thought, by thesis sentence, perceiving the analogy that marries Matter and Mind. 1. Nature is a discipline of the understanding in for kids, intellectual truths. Thesis Statement Frame. Our dealing with sensible objects is dissertations, a constant exercise in the necessary lessons of difference, of likeness, of order, of being and seeming, of progressive arrangement; of ascent from particular to general; of combination to one end of manifold forces. Proportioned to the importance of the organ to be formed, is the extreme care with which its tuition is provided, -- a care pretermitted in no single case. What tedious training, day after day, year after year, never ending, to form the common sense; what continual reproduction of annoyances, inconveniences, dilemmas; what rejoicing over us of little men; what disputing of prices, what reckonings of interest, -- and all to form the thesis statement, Hand of the mind; -- to instruct us that good thoughts are no better than good dreams, unless they be executed!

The same good office is performed by Property and its filial systems of debt and credit. For Kids. Debt, grinding debt, whose iron face the widow, the thesis sentence frame, orphan, and the sons of genius fear and hate; -- debt, which consumes so much time, which so cripples and disheartens a great spirit with cares that seem so base, is a preceptor whose lessons cannot be forgone, and is needed most by those who suffer from it most. Moreover, property, which has been well compared to snow, -- if it fall level to-day, it will be blown into drifts to-morrow, -- is the surface action of internal machinery, like the index on the face of a clock. Whilst now it is the gymnastics of the understanding, it is hiving in the foresight of the essay on courage, spirit, experience in profounder laws. The whole character and fortune of the individual are affected by the least inequalities in thesis sentence frame, the culture of the understanding; for example, in the perception of differences.

Therefore is essay number 10 federalist james, Space, and therefore Time, that man may know that things are not huddled and statement sentence lumped, but sundered and research paper google docs individual. A bell and thesis statement a plough have each their use, and neither can do the office of the a2 english literature coursework, other. Water is good to drink, coal to burn, wool to wear; but wool cannot be drunk, nor water spun, nor coal eaten. The wise man shows his wisdom in separation, in gradation, and his scale of creatures and of merits is as wide as nature. The foolish have no range in their scale, but suppose every man is as every other man. What is not good they call the worst, and what is not hateful, they call the best. In like manner, what good heed, nature forms in us! She pardons no mistakes. Thesis Sentence. Her yea is yea, and her nay, nay.

The first steps in Agriculture, Astronomy, Zoology, (those first steps which the research paper google docs, farmer, the hunter, and the sailor take,) teach that nature's dice are always loaded; that in her heaps and rubbish are concealed sure and useful results. How calmly and genially the mind apprehends one after another the laws of physics! What noble emotions dilate the mortal as he enters into thesis statement sentence the counsels of the creation, and feels by knowledge the privilege to BE! His insight refines him. The beauty of nature shines in his own breast. Man is greater that he can see this, and the universe less, because Time and Space relations vanish as laws are known. Here again we are impressed and even daunted by the immense Universe to be explored.

What we know, is a point to what we do not know. Term Paper. Open any recent journal of science, and sentence frame weigh the problems suggested concerning Light, Heat, Electricity, Magnetism, Physiology, Geology, and judge whether the on courage, interest of thesis, natural science is essay on courage for kids, likely to thesis be soon exhausted. Passing by many particulars of the essay number james madison, discipline of nature, we must not omit to specify two. The exercise of the Will or the lesson of power is taught in every event. From the child's successive possession of his several senses up to the hour when he saith, Thy will be done! he is learning the secret, that he can reduce under his will, not only particular events, but great classes, nay the whole series of statement sentence frame, events, and so conform all facts to his character. On Courage For Kids. Nature is thesis statement sentence, thoroughly mediate. It is made to serve.

It receives the dominion of man as meekly as the ass on which the how to appeal, Saviour rode. It offers all its kingdoms to man as the raw material which he may mould into thesis statement sentence what is useful. Man is never weary of working it up. A2 English Mark. He forges the subtile and delicate air into wise and melodious words, and gives them wing as angels of persuasion and command. One after another, his victorious thought comes up with and reduces all things, until the world becomes, at last, only a realized will, -- the thesis statement sentence, double of the man. 2. Sensible objects conform to the premonitions of Reason and reflect the conscience. All things are moral; and in their boundless changes have an unceasing reference to kcl geography spiritual nature. Therefore is nature glorious with form, color, and motion, that every globe in the remotest heaven; every chemical change from the rudest crystal up to the laws of life; every change of vegetation from the first principle of growth in the eye of sentence frame, a leaf, to the tropical forest and research google docs antediluvian coal-mine; every animal function from the sponge up to statement sentence Hercules, shall hint or thunder to man the laws of right and wrong, and echo the Ten Commandments. Therefore is nature ever the ally of Religion: lends all her pomp and riches to the religious sentiment. Maintained. Prophet and priest, David, Isaiah, Jesus, have drawn deeply from this source. This ethical character so penetrates the bone and marrow of nature, as to seem the end for which it was made.

Whatever private purpose is answered by any member or part, this is its public and universal function, and is never omitted. Nothing in nature is exhausted in frame, its first use. When a thing has served an on courage for kids, end to the uttermost, it is wholly new for an ulterior service. In God, every end is converted into a new means. Thus the use of commodity, regarded by itself, is mean and thesis frame squalid. But it is to the mind an education in the doctrine of research docs, Use, namely, that a thing is sentence frame, good only so far as it serves; that a conspiring of parts and efforts to the production of an end, is essential to any being. The first and gross manifestation of this truth, is our inevitable and hated training in values and wants, in corn and meat.

It has already been illustrated, that every natural process is essay for kids, a version of a moral sentence. The moral law lies at the centre of nature and radiates to the circumference. Sentence Frame. It is the pith and marrow of every substance, every relation, and every process. All things with which we deal, preach to us. What is a farm but a mute gospel? The chaff and the wheat, weeds and plants, blight, rain, insects, sun, -- it is a sacred emblem from the first furrow of spring to kcl geography the last stack which the snow of thesis statement frame, winter overtakes in the fields.

But the sailor, the shepherd, the miner, the merchant, in research docs, their several resorts, have each an experience precisely parallel, and thesis statement sentence frame leading to kcl geography the same conclusion: because all organizations are radically alike. Nor can it be doubted that this moral sentiment which thus scents the air, grows in the grain, and impregnates the waters of the world, is frame, caught by man and sinks into his soul. The moral influence of nature upon every individual is that amount of truth which it illustrates to him. Who can estimate this? Who can guess how much firmness the sea-beaten rock has taught the fisherman? how much tranquillity has been reflected to man from the on courage, azure sky, over whose unspotted deeps the winds forevermore drive flocks of stormy clouds, and leave no wrinkle or stain? how much industry and providence and affection we have caught from the pantomime of thesis statement sentence, brutes? What a searching preacher of self-command is the varying phenomenon of Health! Herein is especially apprehended the unity of how to write appeal, Nature, -- the unity in thesis sentence, variety, -- which meets us everywhere. All the endless variety of things make an identical impression. Xenophanes complained in kcl geography, his old age, that, look where he would, all things hastened back to Unity.

He was weary of seeing the frame, same entity in the tedious variety of forms. The fable of term titles, Proteus has a cordial truth. A leaf, a drop, a crystal, a moment of time is related to the whole, and partakes of the thesis sentence frame, perfection of the whole. Each particle is a microcosm, and faithfully renders the likeness of the world. Not only resemblances exist in things whose analogy is obvious, as when we detect the type of the human hand in the flipper of the fossil saurus, but also in objects wherein there is great superficial unlikeness. Thus architecture is called frozen music, by De Stael and Goethe. Vitruvius thought an architect should be a musician. A Gothic church, said Coleridge, is a petrified religion.

Michael Angelo maintained, that, to an architect, a knowledge of anatomy is essential. In Haydn's oratorios, the notes present to on courage for kids the imagination not only motions, as, of the snake, the stag, and the elephant, but colors also; as the green grass. The law of harmonic sounds reappears in the harmonic colors. The granite is differenced in frame, its laws only by for kids, the more or less of thesis frame, heat, from the river that wears it away. A2 English Coursework Mark. The river, as it flows, resembles the air that flows over it; the air resembles the light which traverses it with more subtile currents; the light resembles the heat which rides with it through Space. Each creature is only a modification of the other; the likeness in them is more than the difference, and their radical law is thesis statement sentence frame, one and titles the same. A rule of one art, or a law of one organization, holds true throughout nature. So intimate is this Unity, that, it is easily seen, it lies under the undermost garment of nature, and betrays its source in Universal Spirit. For, it pervades Thought also.

Every universal truth which we express in words, implies or supposes every other truth. Omne verum vero consonat. It is like a great circle on a sphere, comprising all possible circles; which, however, may be drawn, and comprise it, in like manner. Statement Frame. Every such truth is the absolute Ens seen from one side. But it has innumerable sides. The central Unity is research, still more conspicuous in actions. Words are finite organs of the infinite mind. They cannot cover the dimensions of what is in truth. They break, chop, and impoverish it.

An action is the perfection and publication of thought. A right action seems to fill the eye, and to be related to all nature. Sentence. The wise man, in doing one thing, does all; or, in the one thing he does rightly, he sees the likeness of all which is done rightly. Words and actions are not the attributes of brute nature. They introduce us to the human form, of which all other organizations appear to be degradations. When this appears among so many that surround it, the spirit prefers it to all others. It says, `From such as this, have I drawn joy and knowledge; in such as this, have I found and beheld myself; I will speak to it; it can speak again; it can yield me thought already formed and alive.' In fact, the eye, -- the mind, -- is always accompanied by these forms, male and female; and these are incomparably the richest informations of the power and order that lie at the heart of things.

Unfortunately, every one of them bears the marks as of term, some injury; is frame, marred and titles superficially defective. Nevertheless, far different from the deaf and dumb nature around them, these all rest like fountain-pipes on the unfathomed sea of thought and virtue whereto they alone, of all organizations, are the entrances. It were a pleasant inquiry to follow into detail their ministry to our education, but where would it stop? We are associated in adolescent and adult life with some friends, who, like skies and waters, are coextensive with our idea; who, answering each to a certain affection of the soul, satisfy our desire on that side; whom we lack power to put at such focal distance from us, that we can mend or even analyze them. We cannot choose but love them. When much intercourse with a friend has supplied us with a standard of excellence, and has increased our respect for the resources of God who thus sends a real person to outgo our ideal; when he has, moreover, become an object of statement sentence frame, thought, and, whilst his character retains all its unconscious effect, is converted in the mind into solid and sweet wisdom, -- it is a sign to us that his office is closing, and he is commonly withdrawn from our sight in a short time. Chapter VI IDEALISM Thus is the unspeakable but intelligible and practicable meaning of the world conveyed to man, the immortal pupil, in every object of sense. To this one end of Discipline, all parts of nature conspire. A noble doubt perpetually suggests itself, whether this end be not the Final Cause of the Universe; and whether nature outwardly exists. It is a sufficient account of that Appearance we call the World, that God will teach a human mind, and titles so makes it the receiver of a certain number of statement sentence frame, congruent sensations, which we call sun and moon, man and woman, house and trade. In my utter impotence to test the authenticity of the report of my senses, to know whether the paper, impressions they make on me correspond with outlying objects, what difference does it make, whether Orion is up there in heaven, or some god paints the image in the firmament of the statement sentence frame, soul?

The relations of parts and the end of the maintained, whole remaining the same, what is the difference, whether land and sea interact, and worlds revolve and intermingle without number or end, -- deep yawning under deep, and galaxy balancing galaxy, throughout absolute space, -- or, whether, without relations of time and space, the same appearances are inscribed in statement sentence, the constant faith of man? Whether nature enjoy a substantial existence without, or is only in the apocalypse of the mind, it is how to appeal, alike useful and alike venerable to me. Be it what it may, it is ideal to me, so long as I cannot try the accuracy of my senses. The frivolous make themselves merry with the thesis statement sentence frame, Ideal theory, as if its consequences were burlesque; as if it affected the stability of nature. It surely does not.

God never jests with us, and will not compromise the end of nature, by permitting any inconsequence in its procession. Kcl Geography Dissertations. Any distrust of the thesis statement frame, permanence of laws, would paralyze the faculties of man. Their permanence is paper google, sacredly respected, and his faith therein is perfect. The wheels and springs of man are all set to the hypothesis of the permanence of nature. Statement. We are not built like a ship to be tossed, but like a house to stand. It is a natural consequence of term titles, this structure, that, so long as the active powers predominate over the reflective, we resist with indignation any hint that nature is more short-lived or mutable than spirit. The broker, the wheelwright, the carpenter, the toll-man, are much displeased at the intimation. But whilst we acquiesce entirely in the permanence of natural laws, the question of the absolute existence of nature still remains open. It is the uniform effect of culture on the human mind, not to shake our faith in the stability of statement sentence, particular phenomena, as of heat, water, azote; but to lead us to regard nature as a phenomenon, not a substance; to attribute necessary existence to spirit; to esteem nature as an accident and an effect. To the on courage, senses and the unrenewed understanding, belongs a sort of instinctive belief in statement, the absolute existence of nature.

In their view, man and nature are indissolubly joined. Essay Number 10 Federalist. Things are ultimates, and they never look beyond their sphere. The presence of Reason mars this faith. Thesis Statement Sentence. The first effort of thought tends to relax this despotism of the senses, which binds us to nature as if we were a part of it, and shows us nature aloof, and, as it were, afloat. Until this higher agency intervened, the titles, animal eye sees, with wonderful accuracy, sharp outlines and colored surfaces. When the eye of Reason opens, to outline and surface are at once added, grace and expression. These proceed from imagination and frame affection, and abate somewhat of the angular distinctness of objects.

If the Reason be stimulated to more earnest vision, outlines and surfaces become transparent, and are no longer seen; causes and spirits are seen through them. The best moments of life are these delicious awakenings of the higher powers, and the reverential withdrawing of nature before its God. Let us proceed to indicate the effects of culture. 1. Our first institution in the Ideal philosophy is dissertations, a hint from nature herself. Nature is made to conspire with spirit to sentence emancipate us.

Certain mechanical changes, a small alteration in our local position apprizes us of a dualism. We are strangely affected by seeing the shore from a moving ship, from a balloon, or through the research paper google docs, tints of an unusual sky. The least change in our point of view, gives the whole world a pictorial air. Statement. A man who seldom rides, needs only to get into a coach and traverse his own town, to turn the street into a puppet-show. The men, the women, -- talking, running, bartering, fighting, -- the earnest mechanic, the lounger, the beggar, the boys, the dogs, are unrealized at once, or, at least, wholly detached from all relation to the observer, and seen as apparent, not substantial beings. What new thoughts are suggested by seeing a face of country quite familiar, in the rapid movement of the rail-road car! Nay, the most wonted objects, (make a very slight change in the point of vision,) please us most.

In a camera obscura, the kcl geography, butcher's cart, and the figure of one of our own family amuse us. So a portrait of thesis, a well-known face gratifies us. Turn the eyes upside down, by looking at the landscape through your legs, and a2 english literature coursework mark scheme how agreeable is the picture, though you have seen it any time these twenty years! In these cases, by mechanical means, is thesis statement sentence frame, suggested the difference between the observer and the spectacle, -- between man and nature. Hence arises a pleasure mixed with awe; I may say, a low degree of the essay number 10 federalist madison maintained, sublime is felt from the fact, probably, that man is hereby apprized, that, whilst the sentence, world is a spectacle, something in a2 english literature coursework, himself is stable. 2. In a higher manner, the poet communicates the same pleasure. By a few strokes he delineates, as on statement sentence, air, the sun, the mountain, the camp, the city, the hero, the maiden, not different from kcl geography dissertations what we know them, but only lifted from the ground and thesis sentence afloat before the eye. He unfixes the land and the sea, makes them revolve around the axis of his primary thought, and disposes them anew. Possessed himself by a heroic passion, he uses matter as symbols of it.

The sensual man conforms thoughts to things; the poet conforms things to his thoughts. The one esteems nature as rooted and fast; the other, as fluid, and impresses his being thereon. Number James Madison. To him, the refractory world is ductile and flexible; he invests dust and stones with humanity, and makes them the words of the Reason. The Imagination may be defined to be, the use which the Reason makes of the material world. Shakspeare possesses the power of subordinating nature for the purposes of expression, beyond all poets. His imperial muse tosses the creation like a bauble from hand to hand, and uses it to thesis statement embody any caprice of thought that is upper-most in kcl geography dissertations, his mind.

The remotest spaces of nature are visited, and the farthest sundered things are brought together, by a subtle spiritual connection. We are made aware that magnitude of material things is relative, and all objects shrink and expand to statement sentence serve the passion of the poet. Thus, in his sonnets, the lays of birds, the scents and dyes of flowers, he finds to be the shadow of his beloved; time, which keeps her from a2 english literature mark scheme him, is his chest ; the suspicion she has awakened, is her ornament ; The ornament of thesis statement, beauty is Suspect, A crow which flies in heaven's sweetest air. His passion is not the fruit of chance; it swells, as he speaks, to a city, or a state. No, it was builded far from accident;

It suffers not in smiling pomp, nor falls. Under the brow of thralling discontent; It fears not policy, that heretic, That works on leases of dissertations, short numbered hours, But all alone stands hugely politic In the strength of his constancy, the Pyramids seem to him recent and transitory. Statement. The freshness of youth and love dazzles him with its resemblance to morning. Literature Mark Scheme. Take those lips away. Which so sweetly were forsworn; And those eyes, -- the break of day, Lights that do mislead the morn.

The wild beauty of this hyperbole, I may say, in passing, it would not be easy to match in thesis frame, literature. This transfiguration which all material objects undergo through the passion of the poet, -- this power which he exerts to dwarf the great, to magnify the small, -- might be illustrated by a thousand examples from his Plays. I have before me the Tempest, and will cite only how to write appeal, these few lines. ARIEL. The strong based promontory. Have I made shake, and by the spurs plucked up. The pine and cedar. Prospero calls for music to soothe the frantic Alonzo, and his companions; A solemn air, and thesis statement frame the best comforter.

To an unsettled fancy, cure thy brains. Now useless, boiled within thy skull. Research Google. Again; The charm dissolves apace, And, as the morning steals upon the night, Melting the darkness, so their rising senses.

Begin to chase the ignorant fumes that mantle. Their clearer reason. Begins to swell: and the approaching tide. Will shortly fill the statement frame, reasonable shores. That now lie foul and muddy. The perception of real affinities between events, (that is to say, of ideal affinities, for those only are real,) enables the poet thus to make free with the most imposing forms and phenomena of the world, and to assert the predominance of the soul. 3. Whilst thus the poet animates nature with his own thoughts, he differs from the philosopher only herein, that the one proposes Beauty as his main end; the other Truth. But the philosopher, not less than the poet, postpones the apparent order and relations of things to the empire of thought.

The problem of essay on courage, philosophy, according to Plato, is, for all that exists conditionally, to find a ground unconditioned and absolute. It proceeds on the faith that a law determines all phenomena, which being known, the phenomena can be predicted. That law, when in the mind, is an thesis sentence frame, idea. Its beauty is infinite. The true philosopher and the true poet are one, and a beauty, which is truth, and a truth, which is kcl geography, beauty, is the aim of both.

Is not the charm of one of Plato's or Aristotle's definitions, strictly like that of the Antigone of Sophocles? It is, in both cases, that a spiritual life has been imparted to nature; that the solid seeming block of matter has been pervaded and dissolved by a thought; that this feeble human being has penetrated the vast masses of nature with an informing soul, and recognised itself in their harmony, that is, seized their law. In physics, when this is attained, the memory disburthens itself of its cumbrous catalogues of particulars, and carries centuries of observation in a single formula. Thus even in thesis statement, physics, the material is appeal, degraded before the spiritual. The astronomer, the geometer, rely on their irrefragable analysis, and disdain the results of observation. The sublime remark of Euler on his law of arches, This will be found contrary to all experience, yet is true; had already transferred nature into the mind, and left matter like an outcast corpse. 4. Intellectual science has been observed to beget invariably a doubt of the thesis sentence frame, existence of matter. Turgot said, He that has never doubted the existence of matter, may be assured he has no aptitude for metaphysical inquiries. It fastens the attention upon immortal necessary uncreated natures, that is, upon Ideas; and in their presence, we feel that the outward circumstance is a dream and a shade. Whilst we wait in this Olympus of how to, gods, we think of nature as an appendix to the soul.

We ascend into their region, and know that these are the thoughts of the Supreme Being. These are they who were set up from thesis everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When he prepared the heavens, they were there; when he established the clouds above, when he strengthened the fountains of the deep. Then they were by research docs, him, as one brought up with him. Of them took he counsel. Their influence is thesis statement, proportionate. As objects of science, they are accessible to few men. Yet all men are capable of being raised by piety or by passion, into their region. And no man touches these divine natures, without becoming, in some degree, himself divine. How To Write Appeal. Like a new soul, they renew the body.

We become physically nimble and lightsome; we tread on air; life is no longer irksome, and we think it will never be so. No man fears age or misfortune or death, in their serene company, for statement frame he is transported out of the district of on courage for kids, change. Whilst we behold unveiled the nature of Justice and Truth, we learn the sentence frame, difference between the absolute and the conditional or relative. We apprehend the absolute. As it were, for term the first time, we exist. We become immortal, for we learn that time and space are relations of thesis statement sentence, matter; that, with a perception of truth, or a virtuous will, they have no affinity. 5. Finally, religion and a2 english scheme ethics, which may be fitly called, -- the practice of ideas, or the introduction of ideas into life, -- have an analogous effect with all lower culture, in degrading nature and suggesting its dependence on spirit.

Ethics and thesis statement frame religion differ herein; that the one is the system of human duties commencing from man; the other, from God. Religion includes the personality of God; Ethics does not. They are one to essay number 10 federalist james madison our present design. They both put nature under foot. The first and statement sentence frame last lesson of religion is, The things that are seen, are temporal; the dissertations, things that are unseen, are eternal. It puts an affront upon nature. Frame. It does that for the unschooled, which philosophy does for Berkeley and Viasa. The uniform language that may be heard in the churches of the most ignorant sects, is,------Contemn the essay, unsubstantial shows of the world; they are vanities, dreams, shadows, unrealities; seek the realities of religion.

The devotee flouts nature. Some theosophists have arrived at a certain hostility and indignation towards matter, as the Manichean and Plotinus. They distrusted in themselves any looking back to these flesh-pots of Egypt. Plotinus was ashamed of his body. In short, they might all say of statement, matter, what Michael Angelo said of external beauty, it is the frail and weary weed, in which God dresses the soul, which he has called into research paper google time. It appears that motion, poetry, physical and intellectual science, and thesis statement sentence religion, all tend to affect our convictions of the reality of the external world.

But I own there is something ungrateful in expanding too curiously the particulars of the general proposition, that all culture tends to imbue us with idealism. I have no hostility to nature, but a child's love to it. I expand and live in the warm day like corn and melons. Google. Let us speak her fair. I do not wish to fling stones at my beautiful mother, nor soil my gentle nest. I only thesis statement, wish to indicate the true position of nature in regard to man, wherein to establish man, all right education tends; as the ground which to attain is the object of human life, that is, of man's connection with nature. Culture inverts the term, vulgar views of nature, and brings the mind to call that apparent, which it uses to thesis statement frame call real, and that real, which it uses to call visionary. Children, it is true, believe in on courage, the external world. The belief that it appears only, is an afterthought, but with culture, this faith will as surely arise on the mind as did the first.

The advantage of the ideal theory over the popular faith, is thesis sentence, this, that it presents the world in number james maintained, precisely that view which is most desirable to the mind. It is, in fact, the view which Reason, both speculative and practical, that is, philosophy and virtue, take. Thesis. For, seen in the light of thought, the world always is phenomenal; and essay virtue subordinates it to the mind. Idealism sees the world in God. It beholds the whole circle of statement sentence frame, persons and things, of actions and events, of country and religion, not as painfully accumulated, atom after atom, act after act, in an aged creeping Past, but as one vast picture, which God paints on the instant eternity, for the contemplation of the soul. Therefore the soul holds itself off from write appeal a too trivial and microscopic study of the universal tablet.

It respects the end too much, to thesis statement frame immerse itself in term titles, the means. It sees something more important in Christianity, than the scandals of statement, ecclesiastical history, or the niceties of criticism; and, very incurious concerning persons or miracles, and not at all disturbed by chasms of historical evidence, it accepts from God the phenomenon, as it finds it, as the pure and awful form of religion in the world. It is not hot and passionate at the appearance of on courage for kids, what it calls its own good or bad fortune, at the union or opposition of statement frame, other persons. No man is its enemy. It accepts whatsoever befalls, as part of its lesson. Paper. It is a watcher more than a doer, and statement it is a doer, only how to write appeal, that it may the better watch.

Chapter VII SPIRIT It is essential to a true theory of nature and of man, that it should contain somewhat progressive. Uses that are exhausted or that may be, and facts that end in the statement, cannot be all that is true of this brave lodging wherein man is harbored, and wherein all his faculties find appropriate and endless exercise. And all the thesis frame, uses of coursework scheme, nature admit of being summed in one, which yields the activity of thesis statement frame, man an infinite scope. Through all its kingdoms, to the suburbs and outskirts of for kids, things, it is statement, faithful to the cause whence it had its origin. It always speaks of Spirit.

It suggests the docs, absolute. It is a perpetual effect. It is a great shadow pointing always to the sun behind us. The aspect of frame, nature is devout. Like the figure of Jesus, she stands with bended head, and hands folded upon the breast. On Courage. The happiest man is he who learns from nature the sentence, lesson of worship. Of that ineffable essence which we call Spirit, he that thinks most, will say least. Titles. We can foresee God in the coarse, and, as it were, distant phenomena of statement, matter; but when we try to define and describe himself, both language and thought desert us, and we are as helpless as fools and savages. That essence refuses to be recorded in propositions, but when man has worshipped him intellectually, the noblest ministry of paper google docs, nature is to stand as the apparition of God. Thesis Frame. It is the organ through which the universal spirit speaks to the individual, and strives to lead back the individual to essay it. When we consider Spirit, we see that the views already presented do not include the whole circumference of man.

We must add some related thoughts. Three problems are put by nature to the mind; What is matter? Whence is it? and Whereto? The first of these questions only, the ideal theory answers. Idealism saith: matter is a phenomenon, not a substance. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame. Idealism acquaints us with the on courage, total disparity between the evidence of our own being, and the evidence of the world's being. The one is perfect; the other, incapable of any assurance; the mind is a part of the nature of things; the world is a divine dream, from which we may presently awake to the glories and frame certainties of google, day. Sentence. Idealism is paper titles, a hypothesis to account for thesis statement sentence frame nature by other principles than those of carpentry and chemistry. Yet, if it only deny the existence of matter, it does not satisfy the demands of the spirit.

It leaves God out of me. It leaves me in the splendid labyrinth of appeal, my perceptions, to wander without end. Then the heart resists it, because it balks the affections in denying substantive being to thesis men and women. Nature is so pervaded with human life, that there is something of kcl geography dissertations, humanity in all, and in every particular. But this theory makes nature foreign to statement sentence me, and does not account for that consanguinity which we acknowledge to it. Let it stand, then, in the present state of our knowledge, merely as a useful introductory hypothesis, serving to apprize us of the eternal distinction between the soul and the world. But when, following the invisible steps of thought, we come to inquire, Whence is matter? and Whereto? many truths arise to us out of the write appeal, recesses of consciousness.

We learn that the highest is present to the soul of man, that the dread universal essence, which is statement, not wisdom, or love, or beauty, or power, but all in one, and each entirely, is that for which all things exist, and that by which they are; that spirit creates; that behind nature, throughout nature, spirit is present; one and not compound, it does not act upon kcl geography us from thesis without, that is, in space and time, but spiritually, or through ourselves: therefore, that spirit, that is, the Supreme Being, does not build up nature around us, but puts it forth through us, as the life of the tree puts forth new branches and leaves through the pores of the old. As a plant upon write the earth, so a man rests upon sentence frame the bosom of God; he is nourished by unfailing fountains, and draws, at his need, inexhaustible power. Who can set bounds to the possibilities of man? Once inhale the upper air, being admitted to behold the absolute natures of justice and truth, and we learn that man has access to the entire mind of the Creator, is himself the creator in the finite. This view, which admonishes me where the sources of wisdom and power lie, and how to write appeal points to virtue as to The golden key. Which opes the palace of eternity, carries upon its face the highest certificate of truth, because it animates me to create my own world through the thesis statement sentence, purification of my soul. The world proceeds from the same spirit as the body of man. It is a remoter and inferior incarnation of God, a projection of God in the unconscious.

But it differs from the body in one important respect. It is not, like that, now subjected to the human will. Its serene order is inviolable by us. It is, therefore, to us, the present expositor of the divine mind. It is a fixed point whereby we may measure our departure. As we degenerate, the contrast between us and our house is more evident.

We are as much strangers in nature, as we are aliens from God. We do not understand the research paper google, notes of birds. The fox and the deer run away from us; the statement, bear and tiger rend us. Madison. We do not know the uses of more than a few plants, as corn and the apple, the potato and the vine. Thesis Sentence Frame. Is not the landscape, every glimpse of which hath a grandeur, a face of him? Yet this may show us what discord is term paper titles, between man and nature, for you cannot freely admire a noble landscape, if laborers are digging in the field hard by.

The poet finds something ridiculous in his delight, until he is out of the sight of men. Chapter VIII PROSPECTS In inquiries respecting the laws of the world and the frame of statement sentence frame, things, the highest reason is always the truest. That which seems faintly possible -- it is so refined, is often faint and dim because it is deepest seated in the mind among the eternal verities. Empirical science is apt to cloud the sight, and, by the very knowledge of functions and processes, to bereave the term paper titles, student of the manly contemplation of the whole. The savant becomes unpoetic. But the best read naturalist who lends an thesis sentence, entire and devout attention to truth, will see that there remains much to learn of his relation to the world, and that it is not to be learned by number james maintained, any addition or subtraction or other comparison of known quantities, but is arrived at by untaught sallies of the spirit, by a continual self-recovery, and by entire humility. He will perceive that there are far more excellent qualities in the student than preciseness and infallibility; that a guess is often more fruitful than an indisputable affirmation, and that a dream may let us deeper into the secret of nature than a hundred concerted experiments. For, the problems to be solved are precisely those which the physiologist and the naturalist omit to sentence frame state. It is not so pertinent to man to know all the individuals of the animal kingdom, as it is to essay know whence and whereto is this tyrannizing unity in his constitution, which evermore separates and classifies things, endeavoring to reduce the most diverse to thesis statement one form. Essay 10 Federalist. When I behold a rich landscape, it is less to statement sentence my purpose to recite correctly the order and superposition of the strata, than to know why all thought of multitude is lost in a tranquil sense of how to write, unity. I cannot greatly honor minuteness in details, so long as there is no hint to thesis statement frame explain the relation between things and thoughts; no ray upon the metaphysics of conchology, of botany, of the 10 federalist james maintained, arts, to show the relation of the forms of flowers, shells, animals, architecture, to the mind, and build science upon ideas.

In a cabinet of natural history, we become sensible of a certain occult recognition and sympathy in regard to the most unwieldly and eccentric forms of beast, fish, and insect. The American who has been confined, in his own country, to the sight of buildings designed after foreign models, is surprised on thesis frame, entering York Minster or St. Peter's at Rome, by the feeling that these structures are imitations also, -- faint copies of an invisible archetype. Nor has science sufficient humanity, so long as the naturalist overlooks that wonderful congruity which subsists between man and the world; of which he is lord, not because he is the most subtile inhabitant, but because he is its head and heart, and finds something of scheme, himself in every great and small thing, in every mountain stratum, in every new law of thesis statement, color, fact of astronomy, or atmospheric influence which observation or analysis lay open. A perception of this mystery inspires the muse of George Herbert, the beautiful psalmist of the seventeenth century. The following lines are part of his little poem on Man. Man is all symmetry, Full of proportions, one limb to another, And to all the world besides. Each part may call the farthest, brother; For head with foot hath private amity,

And both with moons and tides. Nothing hath got so far. But man hath caught and kept it as his prey; His eyes dismount the highest star; He is in little all the sphere. Herbs gladly cure our flesh, because that they. Find their acquaintance there. For us, the winds do blow,

The earth doth rest, heaven move, and fountains flow; Nothing we see, but means our good, As our delight, or as our treasure; The whole is either our cupboard of food, Or cabinet of pleasure. The stars have us to research docs bed: Night draws the curtain; which the sun withdraws.

Music and light attend our head. All things unto our flesh are kind, In their descent and being; to our mind, In their ascent and cause. More servants wait on man. Than he'll take notice of. Thesis Sentence. In every path, He treads down that which doth befriend him.

When sickness makes him pale and mark wan. Oh mighty love! Man is one world, and hath. Another to frame attend him. The perception of this class of truths makes the attraction which draws men to science, but the end is lost sight of in attention to the means. In view of this half-sight of science, we accept the sentence of Plato, that, poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history. Every surmise and vaticination of the mind is entitled to a certain respect, and we learn to prefer imperfect theories, and sentences, which contain glimpses of truth, to digested systems which have no one valuable suggestion. A wise writer will feel that the ends of study and composition are best answered by announcing undiscovered regions of thought, and so communicating, through hope, new activity to essay 10 federalist madison the torpid spirit. I shall therefore conclude this essay with some traditions of man and nature, which a certain poet sang to me; and which, as they have always been in the world, and perhaps reappear to statement sentence every bard, may be both history and on courage prophecy. `The foundations of man are not in matter, but in spirit.

But the element of spirit is eternity. To it, therefore, the longest series of events, the oldest chronologies are young and thesis statement sentence recent. In the term paper titles, cycle of the universal man, from whom the known individuals proceed, centuries are points, and thesis statement sentence frame all history is but the essay number 10 federalist maintained, epoch of one degradation. `We distrust and deny inwardly our sympathy with nature. Statement Sentence. We own and disown our relation to it, by turns. We are, like Nebuchadnezzar, dethroned, bereft of reason, and eating grass like an ox.

But who can set limits to the remedial force of spirit? `A man is a god in ruins. When men are innocent, life shall be longer, and shall pass into the immortal, as gently as we awake from dreams. Now, the world would be insane and rabid, if these disorganizations should last for hundreds of years. It is kept in check by death and infancy. Infancy is the perpetual Messiah, which comes into the arms of fallen men, and pleads with them to return to paradise. `Man is the dwarf of himself. Once he was permeated and dissolved by spirit. He filled nature with his overflowing currents.

Out from write him sprang the sun and moon; from man, the sun; from woman, the moon. The laws of his mind, the periods of his actions externized themselves into day and night, into the year and the seasons. But, having made for himself this huge shell, his waters retired; he no longer fills the veins and veinlets; he is sentence, shrunk to a drop. He sees, that the structure still fits him, but fits him colossally. Say, rather, once it fitted him, now it corresponds to him from how to far and on statement frame, high. He adores timidly his own work. Now is man the follower of the sun, and woman the a2 english mark, follower of the moon. Yet sometimes he starts in thesis statement sentence frame, his slumber, and wonders at himself and his house, and muses strangely at the resemblance betwixt him and it.

He perceives that if his law is still paramount, if still he have elemental power, if his word is sterling yet in nature, it is not conscious power, it is not inferior but superior to his will. It is Instinct.' Thus my Orphic poet sang. At present, man applies to nature but half his force. He works on the world with his understanding alone. He lives in it, and masters it by a penny-wisdom; and he that works most in it, is but a half-man, and whilst his arms are strong and his digestion good, his mind is imbruted, and he is a selfish savage. His relation to nature, his power over it, is through the understanding; as by manure; the economic use of fire, wind, water, and the mariner's needle; steam, coal, chemical agriculture; the repairs of the for kids, human body by the dentist and the surgeon. This is such a resumption of power, as if a banished king should buy his territories inch by inch, instead of thesis statement sentence frame, vaulting at once into his throne.

Meantime, in the thick darkness, there are not wanting gleams of how to write appeal, a better light, -- occasional examples of the action of man upon nature with his entire force, -- with reason as well as understanding. Statement Sentence. Such examples are; the traditions of miracles in the earliest antiquity of all nations; the history of Jesus Christ; the achievements of a principle, as in religious and political revolutions, and in james, the abolition of the Slave-trade; the miracles of statement, enthusiasm, as those reported of Swedenborg, Hohenlohe, and the Shakers; many obscure and yet contested facts, now arranged under the name of Animal Magnetism; prayer; eloquence; self-healing; and mark scheme the wisdom of children. These are examples of Reason's momentary grasp of the sceptre; the exertions of a power which exists not in time or space, but an instantaneous in-streaming causing power. The difference between the actual and the ideal force of man is happily figured by the schoolmen, in saying, that the knowledge of man is an evening knowledge, vespertina cognitio, but that of thesis, God is a morning knowledge, matutina cognitio. The problem of restoring to dissertations the world original and thesis frame eternal beauty, is dissertations, solved by the redemption of the soul.

The ruin or the blank, that we see when we look at nature, is in our own eye. The axis of vision is not coincident with the axis of things, and so they appear not transparent but opake. The reason why the world lacks unity, and lies broken and in heaps, is, because man is disunited with himself. He cannot be a naturalist, until he satisfies all the demands of the spirit. Love is as much its demand, as perception. Indeed, neither can be perfect without the thesis statement, other. In the uttermost meaning of the words, thought is devout, and devotion is thought. Deep calls unto deep. But in actual life, the marriage is not celebrated. There are innocent men who worship God after the tradition of dissertations, their fathers, but their sense of duty has not yet extended to the use of all their faculties.

And there are patient naturalists, but they freeze their subject under the wintry light of the understanding. Is not prayer also a study of truth, -- a sally of the soul into the unfound infinite? No man ever prayed heartily, without learning something. But when a faithful thinker, resolute to detach every object from personal relations, and see it in statement sentence, the light of thought, shall, at the same time, kindle science with the fire of the holiest affections, then will God go forth anew into essay number 10 federalist james maintained the creation. It will not need, when the thesis frame, mind is prepared for study, to search for objects. The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common. What is a day? What is a year? What is summer?

What is woman? What is a2 english mark scheme, a child? What is sleep? To our blindness, these things seem unaffecting. We make fables to hide the baldness of the fact and conform it, as we say, to the higher law of the mind.

But when the fact is seen under the light of an idea, the gaudy fable fades and shrivels. We behold the real higher law. Statement Sentence Frame. To the wise, therefore, a fact is true poetry, and the most beautiful of dissertations, fables. These wonders are brought to our own door. You also are a man. Man and woman, and their social life, poverty, labor, sleep, fear, fortune, are known to you. Learn that none of thesis statement sentence frame, these things is superficial, but that each phenomenon has its roots in the faculties and affections of the mind. Whilst the abstract question occupies your intellect, nature brings it in the concrete to be solved by your hands.

It were a wise inquiry for the closet, to docs compare, point by point, especially at remarkable crises in thesis statement, life, our daily history, with the rise and progress of ideas in the mind. So shall we come to look at the world with new eyes. It shall answer the endless inquiry of the intellect, -- What is truth? and of the affections, -- What is good? by yielding itself passive to the educated Will. Then shall come to pass what my poet said; `Nature is not fixed but fluid. Spirit alters, moulds, makes it. The immobility or bruteness of nature, is the absence of spirit; to pure spirit, it is fluid, it is volatile, it is obedient. Every spirit builds itself a house; and beyond its house a world; and beyond its world, a heaven. Know then, that the world exists for you.

For you is the phenomenon perfect. Coursework Mark Scheme. What we are, that only can we see. All that Adam had, all that Caesar could, you have and can do. Adam called his house, heaven and earth; Caesar called his house, Rome; you perhaps call yours, a cobler's trade; a hundred acres of ploughed land; or a scholar's garret. Yet line for line and point for point, your dominion is statement sentence, as great as theirs, though without fine names. Build, therefore, your own world. As fast as you conform your life to the pure idea in your mind, that will unfold its great proportions. A correspondent revolution in things will attend the paper, influx of the spirit.

So fast will disagreeable appearances, swine, spiders, snakes, pests, madhouses, prisons, enemies, vanish; they are temporary and shall be no more seen. The sordor and filths of nature, the sun shall dry up, and the wind exhale. As when the thesis statement sentence frame, summer comes from the south; the snow-banks melt, and the face of the term paper, earth becomes green before it, so shall the advancing spirit create its ornaments along its path, and carry with it the beauty it visits, and thesis the song which enchants it; it shall draw beautiful faces, warm hearts, wise discourse, and heroic acts, around its way, until evil is no more seen. The kingdom of man over paper, nature, which cometh not with observation, -- a dominion such as now is beyond his dream of God, -- he shall enter without more wonder than the blind man feels who is gradually restored to perfect sight.'

How to buy essay cheap with no worries -
Tools/Scaffolds Definition/Sentence Frames • Vocabulary:… pdf 0 52 Кб

analyze theme essay You’ve been staring at your blank computer screen for statement what feels like hours, trying to figure out how to start your analytical essay. You try to choose between writing the introduction first or getting right into the meat of it. Research Google Docs! But somehow, it seems too difficult to do either. What you need is is a blueprint—a foolproof way to get your essay structured. Then all you have to do is fill in sentence frame, the blanks. By Anonymous [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. How To! What an statement sentence, Analytical Essay Is—And What It Isn’t. Helpful, right? Um, not so much.

First, it might be more useful to number 10 federalist madison maintained explain what an statement sentence frame, analytical essay isn’t before getting to research google docs what it is . An analytical essay isn’t a summary. Though this may seem obvious in statement sentence frame, theory, it’s more difficult in practice. If you read your essay and kcl geography dissertations, it sounds a lot like a book report, it’s probably only summarizing events or characters. One way to figure out if you’re summarizing instead of analyzing is to look at thesis statement, your support. Are you simply stating what happened, or are you relating it back to your main point? Okay, so what is an analytical essay, exactly ? Usually, it’s writing that has a more narrowed focus than a summary.

Analytical essays usually concentrate on how the book or poem was written—for example, how certain themes present themselves in the story, or how the use of metaphor brings a certain meaning to a poem. In short, this type of essay requires you to look at the smaller parts of the work to for kids help shed light on the larger picture. An example of a prompt—and the example I’m going to use for frame the rest of research google docs, this post—could be something like: Analyze the theme of sacrifice in the Harry Potter series. (Note: there might be some spoilers, but I figured everyone who was planning on frame reading the books has done so already—or at how to appeal, least has seen the movies.) One Way To Form Your Analytical Essay Outline. There are quite a few ways to organize your analytical essay, but no matter how you choose to write it, your essay should always have three main parts: I’ll get into the nitty-gritty of this soon, but for all you visual learners, here is statement a nice representation of all the components that make a great analytical essay outline. You can see that I’ve added a few more details than just the introduction, body, and write, conclusion. But hold your horses—we’re getting to those parts right now. Introduction of thesis, Your Analytical Essay Outline. The purpose of essay, your introduction is to get the reader interested in thesis statement sentence frame, your analysis. The introduction should include at least three things—a hook, your thesis statement, and a sentence or two describing how you intend to prove your thesis statement. 1. You gotta hook ‘em from the start. The first part of your introduction should draw the reader in.

This is called the term hook. The hook should be interesting or surprising. You can achieve this by asking a rhetorical question, giving some relevant statistics, or making a statement that’s unusual or controversial. Thesis Statement Frame! For my Harry Potter example, I might say, “Since the publication of the first book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone , some Christian groups have attacked the books for promoting witchcraft. However, one of the main themes of the books draws inspiration from Christianity itself—that of sacrifice.” Okay, so that’s two sentences. But it’s got a little bit of controversy and relates to on courage for kids what the rest of the thesis sentence frame essay will discuss.

2. Get to the good stuff—write a killer thesis statement. Okay, so now that you’ve got your reader hooked, you need to start getting to the point. This is where the thesis statement comes in. My thesis might be, “The theme of sacrifice is prevalent throughout the series and is embodied as sacrifice for the greater good, sacrifice for an ultimate gain, and sacrifice to keep a promise.” 3. It’s time to back up your thesis. Let the paper google docs reader know how you’re going to prove your claim. For my example, I would let the reader know that I intend to thesis statement analyze the instances of Harry’s “death,” Voldemort’s sacrifice of his soul in literature coursework mark scheme, exchange for immortality, and how Snape sacrifices in order to honor a promise made to thesis statement sentence frame Lily Potter. These points will be the building blocks of the body paragraphs.

Body of Your Analytical Essay Outline. The body is where you can start to get really creative and play around with formatting. In the flowchart, there are three body paragraphs. But that’s because I was trained in on courage for kids, the 5-paragraph outline. But you can include as many or as few body paragraphs as you want—as long as you end up thoroughly supporting your thesis. For my outline, each body paragraph includes a topic sentence, followed by three sets of claims, evidence to support those claims, and how that evidence ties back to the topic sentence.

Again, three is not necessarily a magic number here. You could make one claim with a lot of evidence, or five claims to support your topic sentence. But let’s get into it, shall we? 1. Develop a strong topic sentence. Each topic sentence in each body paragraph of your analytical essay outline should tell the reader exactly what that section is going to be about. My first body paragraph might start with, “Harry Potter is thesis frame willing to fulfill prophecy and essay number 10 federalist madison, make the ultimate sacrifice—that of statement, his life—in order to term paper save the rest of the wizarding world.” 2. Make your claim. The claim should dive into a smaller part of the overarching topic sentence. Thesis! The topic sentence I gave can be broken down into several smaller claims—that Harry knew that he was fulfilling prophecy, that he was actually willing to die, and that his death would be of profound significance. 3. Provide evidence from the text to research paper back your claim. You can’t just go around making claims without any support.

You can use quotes or paraphrase parts of the text to sentence add evidence. For evidence that Harry knew that he was fulfilling prophecy, you could cite the literature coursework instance in the hall of prophecies with the quote, “and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.” 4. Tie that evidence to the topic sentence. Thesis Frame! You have to make it absolutely clear why you included the evidence. If you don’t, your analytical essay runs the risk of being a summary. For example, with the on courage citing of the prophecy, I would tell the thesis reader that Harry and his friends found said prophecy and figured out that it had to be about research paper, him (although there are objections that it could’ve been referring to thesis statement sentence frame Neville, but we’ll leave that out of this example). They knew that either Voldemort had to docs die or Harry did, and he had to be willing to do that.

They’re not needed in the outline, but when you write your final essay, be sure you include effective transitions. This will help your essay flow. Conclusion of statement sentence frame, Your Analytical Essay Outline. After you’ve built up all of your body paragraphs, given the appropriate evidence to back your claims, and tied that evidence to your awesome topic sentences, you’re ready to wrap it all up. The conclusion should be a brief restatement of paper titles, your main points without being a direct copy.

For example, “There are many motivations behind sacrifice—to help others, to statement sentence help oneself, or to keep a promise to kcl geography dissertations a loved one—and J.K. Rowling explores several of them through the statement frame characters in the Harry Potter book series.” This, of course, does not suffice as a full conclusion. To fill it out and give the reader a sense of closure, you can relate the how to theme to the real world or end with a final quote from the sentence frame text or the author. Essay 10 Federalist James Madison! Use This Downloadable Analytical Essay Outline as a Guide. Easy, right? I know you’re pumped to get started, but before you do, I have a template for the analytical essay outline for you to thesis sentence download. Of course, your instructor’s directions will trump mine, so if they say to do something a specific way, I won’t be offended if you take their advice over mine. And don’t forget about the Kibin editors. When your analytical essay is on courage all typed up, they can help you make sure that it’s as good as it can get.

Psst. 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over thesis statement frame, 500,000 example essays. About the Author. Google Docs! Eden Meirow is a self-employed freelance writer with a passion for English, history and education. You can find her on Google+. dis was absooltelee fantasteec thxc you 4 de owwline. awesome! Glad you liked it. #128578; @naomi_tepper:disqus Oh my Gosh! this was amazing thank you so much!

This helped a lot with my Economics essay for Humanities 6 World Studies! Woot woot! Happy to thesis sentence frame help. #128578; Thanks for the comment. Titles! This is undoubtedly very much helpful#8230; Thanks a lot. You#8217;re welcome! Thanks for the comment and thanks for reading. #128578; Hi#8230;.Eden thank you for thesis frame orienting me on how to structure an analytical essay. because of term titles, many reasons which i don#8217;t like to name writing an analytical essay has been my Achilies Hill.

Your effort in writing this article has thrown much need light as far as I#8217;m concerned. I look forward to your reply on the question of structuring of analytical political essay on issues like say Affirmative Action or Constitutionalism. Thank you for frame your kind words. In regards to writing a political analytical essay, it varies depending on the course and the requirements of your instructor. However, you can follow the same advice in this post. Introduction with a hook and thesis, body paragraphs that make claims with evidence to support those claims, and a conclusion that wraps it all up. The main difference is that you#8217;ll have to research paper google docs do more research than reading just one book. (And make sure to cite your sources.) I hope that helped! Thank you, this will help ? This was really useful I went through so many websites the finally got this one. Sweet!

Glad you found it helpful. hi this is great. Sentence Frame! Fabulous! Happy to help. How would I write an analytic essay using dramatic conventions? I#8217;m supposed to write an essay on term The Tempest from thesis sentence Shakespeare using dramatic conventions and I#8217;m not doing so well at understanding how to do it. basically it#8217;s also asking me #8220;how dramatic conventions make the reader see characters in a certain way. Please respond to this if you can. I think that I would devote one body paragraph to essay number each of the dramatic conventions that you#8217;re covering in your paper. Thesis Statement! For instance, in one paragraph, if you are writing about the conventions of titles, soliloquy, the play-within-a-play convention, and asides (these are the first three conventions I thought of thesis statement, #8212; I#8217;m not sure which ones you#8217;ve studied in class), then you could devote one body paragraph to dissertations each of these topics and their influence on how the audience views the characters. Thesis Statement Frame! I hope this puts you on the right track! I have two write an essay about titles, Animals by O#8217;Hara and how it reflects the innocence and statement, simplicity of how to, childhood.

I don#8217;t know how to thesis statement frame start. 10 Federalist Madison! Could anyone suggest the first sentence of the introduction? I#8217;ve already got my outline #128578; Hi Lily Awesome that you have your outline ready to go. You might want to start with the quintessential quote from the text that stands out statement frame, as reflecting these qualities of essay madison, innocence/childhood simplicity. For more great hook sentence tips visit: https://www.kibin.com/essay-writing-blog/good-hook-sentences/ This is amazing and statement sentence, extremely helpful! Thank you author. Hey, thanks for reading and for the nice comment! I#8217;ll be sure to show the author. How To Appeal! #128578; do you eat pussy?

Haha! Awesome. We#8217;re happy to help, but don#8217;t sell yourself short just because of your blonde hair. #128578; great site but second para 24th word should be ALWAYS not away. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame! dont take this as offensive but im just trying to improve this site that is all. Thanks for keeping us on our toes, Shayan! No offense taken #8212; we#8217;ll get that updated #128578; Great blog post ! Just to a2 english coursework add my thoughts if you are wanting a Express Evictions 3-Day Notice to thesis frame Pay Rent or Quit , my secretary came across a blank version here https://goo.gl/nlOqzY. Hi there! Although this was really helpful for literary analysis, I was wondering if you had an idea as to how to apply this to mark scheme historical analysis. I have to write about the sentence effects of European migration, warfare, and disease on Native Americans, and was thinking of finding 3 specific examples of each and explaining the effect that each had on Native Americans. Is this a good plan? You could *definitely* apply this framework to a historical analysis, yes!

As Eden mentions, you can have as many body paragraphs as you want, so you could devote a single paragraph to each of kcl geography dissertations, your examples #8212; giving you 9 body paragraphs. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame! Since that would get pretty lengthy, you could add a header before each of your 3-paragraph sections to keep your paper organized. A2 English Coursework Scheme! DIOS MIO! this is really helpful. Thesis Frame! Woot! That#8217;s awesome. So happy you found this post helpful. #128578; Thanks for the kind comment. This is so helpful, thank you. I have to write an analytical essay about The Killer Angels by write appeal, Michael Shaara and I#8217;m stuck.

This is sentence my second essay and on the first I received a C #128577; I don#8217;t know how to start and it isn#8217;t even about the whole book, its only for how to half the book. Please help. Starting is definitely the hardest part sometimes :/ thanks so much for your blog. you have made it very easy for me to understand this (horrible) essay. I have to write my first Analytical essay. kind regards to you. And thanks to you for reading! Good luck with your essay #8212; you#8217;ve got this. I have to write an analytical essay for my college English course, and its about an American folk song called #8220;Frankie and Johnny#8221; and im stuck in how to statement sentence frame begin it! my professor gave me an example on how to start, she said #8220;to summarize a short definition of North American folk music from Oxford Music Online#8221; please help. A definition is one way to start your essay, sure! This post contains lots more great advice (plus you can sign up for 14 hook types + examples in the bottom right corner): https://www.kibin.com/essay-writing-blog/good-hook-sentences/ Damn am I thirsty, any fine white beothches dtf. NAH MEAN. Thank you so much.

I was dying a moment ago. Now I think I can manage it. love the paper example! it got me even more excited! #128516;#128523;#128526; Yesss, you can totally manage it! Thanks for reading #128578; I feel motivated and have been trying my best all these days#8230; Grateful for everything. )

Order Your Own Writing Help Now -
Tools/Scaffolds Definition/Sentence Frames • Vocabulary:… pdf 0 52 Кб

Clinical case studies in thesis, heart failure management. The outlook for patients with cardiac failure has improved substantially in for kids, the last 15 years. This is largely due to the application of the results of multicentre clinical trials of new and older drugs and a better understanding of sentence frame, outcomes for individual patients. Interest has focused on google systolic dysfunction in both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients. Less is known about the definition and management of diastolic dysfunction. The following case studies have been chosen to thesis sentence, illustrate the basis for therapeutic management of kcl geography, systolic heart failure and outline the remaining gaps in knowledge, of which there are several. The issues apply across the spectrum of patients seen in thesis, clinical practice. Acute stabilization and chronic management of systolic failure. A 74-year-old female patient was admitted from home with progressive increase in breathlessness, orthopnoea and ankle oedema over the previous 3 weeks. Her general practitioner had prescribed oral coamoxiclav and coamilofruse (substituting the latter for bendrofluazide).

She had suffered from dyspepsia, increasing over recent weeks, and kcl geography dissertations, the general practitioner had noted a new murmur. She was apyrexial yet tachypnoeic (25 beats min #x02212;1 ); with a low volume pulse. Sitting blood pressure was 110/70 mm Hg. The apex beat was in the anterior axillary line and thesis, a parasternal lift was prominent. A pansystolic murmur was audible and late inspiratory crackles were heard throughout both lung fields. There was sacral oedema.

The ECG confirmed sinus tachycardia (110 beats min #x02212;1 ) with antero-lateral Q waves of previous infarction and the chest X-ray confirmed cardiomegaly and interstitial oedema. Routine chemistry showed Na + 128 mmol l #x02212;1 ; K + 5.8 mmol l #x02212;1 ; urea 9 mmol l #x02212;1 ; creatinine 155 mmol l #x02212;1 . A creatine kinase series was unremarkable. Echocardiography showed a dilated heart (left ventricular end diastolic distension (LVEDD) 650 mm) with anterior and septal hypokinesis and apical dilatation compatible with previous anterior infarction. The posterior wall was contracting vigorously. A high velocity jet (4.7 m s #x02212;1 ) of mitral regurgitation was noted but the left atrial size was normal. This is research docs, a common clinical presentation of thesis statement sentence, progressive systolic dysfunction after unheralded myocardial infarction. A number of therapeutic and general management steps should be considered for all such patients. A2 English Coursework Mark Scheme? Whereas in stable patients clinical identification or grading of the severity of heart failure is unreliable [1], recent studies suggest that in acute heart failure clinical diagnosis is much more secure [2].

Any abnormality of the thesis statement, ECG in a breathless patient is supportive evidence for number james maintained a cardiac cause of dyspnoea. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame? A normal ECG usually suggests another diagnosis [3]. Radiological cardiomegaly is also supportive of kcl geography dissertations, a diagnosis of heart failure [4]. This is not the sentence frame, case for more subtle radiological signs, even in the hands of experienced radiological staff [5] where the clinical context can significantly affect the term paper, interpretation. Radiological cardiomegaly most often represents either significant ventricular dilatation or hypertrophy (provided that there is no suspicion of pericardial fluid). This, in conjunction with an abnormal ECG, almost rules out a noncardiac cause of breathlessness. Echocardiography provides definitive diagnosis. Although a lack of quantitative images is frame, a frequent practical problem, this may not be of importance to clinical management [6].

While there is a lack of controlled clinical trial evidence to a2 english literature mark scheme, support the use of diuretics as initial therapy, effective diuresis and sentence, consequent adjustment of the loading conditions of the failing heart is generally regarded as essential [7]. Immediate empirical management is with supplementary oxygen, opiates and diuretics. Vasodilatation appears to be an important effect of intravenous diuretics although clear evidence for this is scant. However, relief of symptoms appears to literature mark, precede diuresis and natriuresis. Intravenous nitrate infusion provides balanced arterio- venous dilatation and frame, is widely employed, supported by beneficial central haemodynamic changes in small studies [8], although little is known about its effects on either morbidity or mortality [9]. Number Maintained? Intravenous ACE inhibitors also produce beneficial haemodynamic effects [10]. These drugs are not used routinely intravenously due to difficulties with appropriate dosage regimens, unpredictable and statement sentence frame, protracted hypotensive effects and essay, concerns over an adverse effect on sentence frame survival in haemodynamically unstable patients in the early stages after myocardial infarction [11].

More recent data suggest that there may yet be a role for intravenous administration of ACE inhibitors in unstable patients [12]. ACE inhibitors It is now clear that patients with either symptomatic or asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction benefit from ACE inhibitor drugs. Morbidity is reduced with symptomatic improvement, improved exercise duration and improved quality of term titles, life indices. Mortality is reduced at thesis statement, all stages of the illness with greater absolute benefit the greater the degree of left ventricular impairment. Treatment is research paper google docs, effective regardless of age, gender or aetiology of cardiac impairment. Further coronary events are also reduced in patients with ischaemic cardiomyopathy [13] although the reasons for this are obscure.

Research now focuses on the reasons why ACE inhibitors remain under used in the management of heart failure [14]. Frame? They are cost-effective in comparison with other cardiovascular treatments [15] (e.g. lipid lowering in patients with ischaemic heart disease; control of research paper google, mild hypertension) even when used for treatment of mild (NYHA Grade I/II) heart failure. The reasons why individual patients do not receive an ACE inhibitor need to be clearly defined but may relate to thesis statement frame, unfounded concerns about essay number 10 federalist james, side effects. Thesis? The implications for such patients are a significantly worse prognosis for symptom control, repeated hospitalization and survival. The degree of neurohormonal suppression by the ACE inhibitor is term titles, linked to survival in individual patients [16]. Some patients taking long-term ACE inhibitor therapy still have normal or elevated levels of the key mediator hormones aldosterone and angiotensin II.

The reasons for this are unclear. It may be due to the secondary rise in statement frame, active renin in response to treatment, failure of compliance, the use of short-acting agents (although these are undoubtedly better than placebo) or to on courage, alternative control pathways for generating angiotensin II (the tissue chymase system) and aldosterone (K + or ACTH). Despite 20 years of study the minimum effective dose of an ACE inhibitor to treat heart failure remains unknown [17]. Thesis Statement? It is a2 english, possible that the symptomatic and mortality benefits occur at different doses and are achieved through a combination of haemodynamic, hormonal or structural effects on the heart and/or the thesis sentence frame, kidneys. Dissertations? One large but short-duration study of thesis statement sentence, enalapril (NETWORK) [18] has suggested that high dosages may be unnecessary to reduce mortality. The results of a larger study with lisinopril (ATLAS) [19] suggest high doses may provide additional benefits. The need for long-term loop diuretic treatment in on courage, stable patients taking an thesis sentence, ACE inhibitor is unclear and has received little attention. Few studies address the effects of ACE inhibition alone compared with those of an kcl geography, ACE inhibitor plus diuretic, either in the short or long-term. Patients treated with and without a loop diuretic after myocardial infarction in the SAVE study appeared to benefit from statement sentence, captopril [20]. Those requiring a loop diuretic might have more significant impairment of left ventricular systolic function but this is by no means always the case.

Although the left ventricular ejection fraction is an accurate predictor of mortality, it is poorly correlated with exercise capacity. Discontinuation of frusemide in essay on courage, patients with stable heart failure appears to be feasible in a minority of patients, usually those with lesser degrees of sentence frame, impairment of left ventricular function [21]. In practice this is rarely attempted and essay 10 federalist james madison, chronic diuretic therapy is usual for thesis frame patients who have had one episode of overt heart failure requiring hospital admission. Newer agents to suppress the essay 10 federalist, renin angiotensin aldosterone system. Other agents that block the thesis sentence, tissue and circulating RAS have been widely studied. Inhibitors of renin have been available for many years but there are few published data from term, controlled trials [22]. Low oral bioavailability has seriously compromised the value of this drug class although they are undoubtedly active biochemically and haemodynamically after intravenous administration [23]. More promising are the selective orally active nonpeptide antagonists of the angiotensin II AT 1 receptor (ARAs) of which there are now several [24].

Haemodynamic activity is predictable and all produce prolonged hormone suppression. These drugs have a significant advantage for some patients, since they do not produce the dry cough which results from potentiation of sentence frame, kinins during treatment with an ACE inhibitor [25]. A recent trial has shown a useful improvement in short-term survival with the AT 1 ARA losartan compared with thrice daily captopril in elderly patients with grade II/III heart failure [26]. This study was designed to examine the a2 english coursework, safety of losartan with respect to renal function. The reasons for statement sentence reduced mortality in the group receiving losartan are unclear. The large body of experimental work suggesting that potentiation of the effects of titles, kinins by ACE inhibitors has an important adjuvant role in the therapeutic effects of ACE inhibitors in heart failure [27] now appears to be in statement frame, doubt.

Before the essay on courage for kids, use of ARAs can be recommended in preference to thesis statement sentence frame, ACE inhibitors for the management of heart failure, this result must be confirmed in outcome trials. At present, ARAs are a useful alternative for patients intolerant of ACE inhibitors. Other therapeutic options in systolic heart failure. Combination high dose oral nitrate and hydralazine therapy was shown in on courage, the mid 1980s to be effective in relieving symptoms of heart failure [28] although the impact on survival was less than that achieved by an ACE inhibitor [29]. The efficacy of nitrates or hydralazine alone has not been tested. The combination should be considered when an thesis sentence, ACE inhibitor is contraindicated, e.g. in bilateral reno-vascular stenosis. The main limitation to this therapy is intolerable vasodilator side-effects in a substantial proportion of patients. On Courage? Nitrate tolerance must be avoided by ensuring an 8 h wash-out phase overnight.

Management and course of the statement sentence, illustrative case. The patient was symptomatically improved by initial intravenous diuretics and how to, supplemental oxygen correction of the fluid imbalance (1.5 l fluid restriction; oral coamilofruse twice daily) resulted in a weight loss of 4.5 kg over 5 days. Although supine blood pressure remained low (#x02248;100 mmHg), an ACE inhibitor (perindopril 2 mg daily) was introduced without difficulty and she experienced no postural symptoms. Renal function improved in response to thesis statement frame, the changes in research paper google docs, therapy. No other therapy was required long-term and diuretic dose was subsequently reduced to coamilofruse one daily). Frame? While remaining functionally limited at discharge, she was able to research paper google, live independently. Having remained well during out-patient review and with no further cardiac admissions, she died suddenly at home some 18 months after presentation.

Optimization of therapy in established cardiac failure. A 53-year-old man who had sustained previous inferior and anterior myocardial infarctions presented with gradually increasing fatigue and oedema despite increasing diuretic therapy. He was being treated with frusemide 80 mg three times daily, captopril 50 mg three times daily, aspirin 150 mg once daily, isosorbide mononitrate SR 60 mg once daily and thesis statement sentence frame, amlodipine 10 mg once daily. On examination he had dependent oedema to the mid thigh and basal fine crepitations. He had a resting tachycardia of 105 beats min #x02212;1 in sinus rhythm. Mitral and tricuspid regurgitation were evident and the supine blood pressure was low at titles, 95/48 mmHg. Laboratory investigation revealed a reduced serum sodium (125 mmol l #x02212;1 ) with impaired renal function (urea 12.8 mmol l #x02212;1 ; creatinine 189 #x003bc;mol l #x02212;1 ). The chest radiograph showed minimal interstitial oedema, a right sided pleural effusion and marked cardiomegaly.

A 24-h ECG shows repetitive but nonsustained ventricular tachycardia (4 episodes of 10#x02013;20 beats with rate #x0003e;150 beats min #x02212;1 ) and thesis sentence frame, multifocal ventricular ectopy (#x0003e;15 000 aberrant beats/24 h). Repeat echocardiography revealed poor left ventricular contractility with global impairment, marked dilatation (LVEDD 750 mm) and functional mitral regurgitation. For Kids? Radionuclide scintigraphy indicated a left ventricular ejection fraction of 11%. The prospects for improving symptom control rely on optimising current treatment. Multiple drug therapy involves the risk of patient confusion over the medicines and thesis, a failure of compliance. This is a neglected area in the care of patients with heart failure [30] yet well known to be associated with poor clinical outcome in cardiac patients [31].

Most decompensated patients require hospital admission for assessment and observation although community based care is increasingly being studied to reduce costs (see below). Isolated dependent oedema may be drug-related. Although amlodipine does not appear to cause deterioration in heart failure [32] unlike some calcium antagonists [33], marked oedema can occur in some patients. Unless active myocardial ischaemia is present and there are no other management options, withdrawal should be considered. Diuretic resistance and optimising diuretic therapy. Initiating more effective diuresis and overcoming diuretic resistance is the paper google docs, first goal. Sentence Frame? Increasing the dosage or frequency of research paper google, dosing with an statement sentence frame, oral loop diuretic has limited value for diuretic resistance.

Improved efficacy can be achieved by a variety of means [34]. Oral combination diuretic therapy with the addition of a thiazide drug such as bendrofluazide is one option. Although metolazone is often used, it offers no greater benefit and may cause a greater incidence of adverse effects [35]. Essay Number James Madison Maintained? The combination of a loop diuretic with a potassium sparing diuretic is thesis sentence, another possibility. If the patient is taking an ACE inhibitor, such an research, approach is not generally advised but can be used with success given careful control (see below). Combination diuretic treatment requires close monitoring.

Once a diuresis is established, it may be possible to stop the additional drug. Long-term combination therapy has not been shown to be beneficial and sentence frame, the risks of electrolyte depletion and induction of dysrhythmia (although this remains controversial) raises concerns. If a combination of diuretics is continued, regular biochemical monitoring is desirable. Another method to overcome resistance to loop diuretic therapy is intravenous administration either by bolus dosing or by continuous infusion [36]. The latter is particularly effective as it delivers a constant efficient concentration of frusemide at term, the tubular lumen. Careful monitoring of statement frame, renal function and the extent of the diuresis are desirable. Diuresis can also be enhanced by the addition of low-dose dopamine infusion to facilitate renal vasodilatation [37]. Kcl Geography? This may be used in combination with intravenous or oral loop diuretic. Oral dopamine agonist drugs have not been demonstrated to be useful [38].

Improving neurohormonal blockade of aldosterone and angiotensin II. Failure to suppress plasma angiotensin II and/or aldosterone concentrations may be associated with an adverse outcome in thesis sentence frame, heart failure [39]. Patients who have increasing symptoms may therefore benefit from increased hormone suppression. The short-acting agent captopril provides incomplete hormone suppression over 24 h unless used in multiple daily doses. Nevertheless, it is widely used in heart failure. The case for kcl geography using a longer-acting ACE inhibitor in preference is poorly documented. Comparative studies of long and short-acting ACE inhibitors are few and do not address improvement in symptoms or mortality. Short-acting drugs are sometimes used on thesis statement frame the pretext of a lower risk of producing significant biochemical renal dysfunction [40]. However, adverse renal effects induced by the combination of loop diuretic and ACE inhibitor are generally predictable, minor and are probably unrelated to the duration of action of the ACE inhibitor selected [41]. Increased dosage or increased dose frequency of the ACE inhibitor might be useful for some patients, although the optimal dose of ACE inhibitor remains uncertain.

Due to the strength of the evidence suggesting that neurohormonal activation in heart failure is on courage, integral both to the progression of symptoms and pathology [42] the combination of ACE inhibitor and ARA is being examined as an option. By blocking the negative feedback loop promoting renin release following treatment with an ACE inhibitor and in addition by providing receptor blockade, levels of bioactive angiotensin II are markedly reduced [43]. This strategy is currently under investigation using enalapril and valsartan in a multicentre outcome study (ValHeFT). As aldosterone has control systems independent of the renin-angiotensin axis and thesis statement, since it may be independently detrimental in heart failure, the use of kcl geography dissertations, additional aldosterone blockade may have a role. Spironolactone has a variety of beneficial effects on surrogate markers of statement sentence, prognosis in heart failure [44]. Whether this can be translated to an improved outcome will be demonstrated by the multicentre RALES study [45]. Preliminary reports of this study suggest that mortality is significantly reduced by this combination. The combination of on courage for kids, loop diuretic, ACE inhibitor and spironolactone increases the thesis, risk of renal dysfunction and literature coursework mark scheme, significant electrolyte imbalance, particularly potassium retention. In small trials it is not possible to assess the frequency of statement sentence, such potential adverse events in routine clinical practice, since treatment and biochemical changes are closely monitored. Digoxin The role of digoxin in patients with heart failure already treated with an ACE inhibitor and diuretics and who are in kcl geography dissertations, sinus rhythm has been a matter of controversy for thesis statement sentence many years. However, digoxin withdrawal was demonstrated to be detrimental in the PROVED trial [46].

Recent studies have confirmed that there is no adverse effect on mortality in heart failure [47] when digoxin is added to patients on diuretics and ACE inhibitors. However, there were useful reductions in literature coursework, recurrent hospitalization after the addition of statement, digoxin. Number 10 Federalist James Madison Maintained? Digoxin should be considered in patients with persistent symptoms despite optimal dosage of a diuretic and an ACE inhibitor. Statement? Care should be exercised when there is impairment of renal function and/or suspicion of impaired AV conduction or sinus node disease, in view of the term paper, effects of digoxin on cardiac conduction. More recently considerable interest has arisen in the use of thesis frame, #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockade in heart failure.

Importantly these studies have been conducted in patients who were already receiving an paper titles, ACE inhibitor and diuretic. Thesis Statement Sentence Frame? The combination of data from several studies using carvedilol, a non selective #x003b2;-adrenoceptor antagonist with additional #x003b1; 1 -adrenoceptor blocking effects, show its efficacy in unselected patients with heart failure. Carvedilol improves survival in patients already receiving an ACE inhibitor and diuretic [48]. Worsening heart failure was not more frequent in the #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blocker treated patients and benefits only emerge over weeks, with a vaguely defined period of increased symptoms during the write, early phase of treatment. Cardioselective (#x003b2; 1 )-adrenoceptor blockade has been studied for thesis frame some years in titles, the management of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Recently preliminary data from a multicentre trial of bisoprolol in unselected heart failure have shown unequivocal evidence of further reductions in mortality. Although the overall mortality reductions appear small, significant reductions in symptomatic decompensation were evident [49]. A retrospective (though nonrandomised) analysis of the SAVE study database [50] suggested that in patients with asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction there is a 30% reduction in cardiovascular death and a 21% reduction in the development of heart failure with the thesis, addition of any #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blocker to captopril. Small scale studies suggest greater improvements in a2 english mark scheme, central haemodynamics and a more significant impact on cardiac adrenergic tone with carvedilol in comparison with metoprolol [51]. Overall the impact of #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockade on exercise capacity is variable, positive in some studies but negative or insubstantial in statement frame, others dependent on the method of testing [52].

If #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockade is to number 10 federalist james maintained, be widely accepted as a treatment for heart failure, significant practical issues remain to be addressed. Thesis Sentence Frame? There is for kids, no clear definition of those patients who stand to benefit most. The treatment appears to statement sentence frame, be well tolerated in small studies (7#x02013;8% intolerance for term paper titles cardioselective and/or vasodilating #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockers; [53]) but many patients in routine clinical practice will have occult peripheral vascular disease or airways obstruction related to smoking which may complicate the use of these drugs. The best methods for initiation of treatment is uncertain. Large doses of a #x003b2;-adrenoceptor bocker can induce hypotension, bradycardia and shock due to statement sentence frame, the withdrawal of myocardial adrenergic support.

As the benefits of #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockade appear to emerge gradually during chronic therapy [54] slow dosage titration is desirable. In most instances weekly medical reviews including daily weight records and regular blood pressure and kcl geography, renal function assessment are recommended for safe treatment [53]. A substantial minority of patients have problems arising from low blood pressure. As with the ACE inhibitors the optimal dose of #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockers is unknown and thesis, titration to the #x02018;maximum tolerated#x02019; dose is currently recommended. The mechanism of action of #x003b2;-adrenoceptor blockers in heart failure is number james madison, unclear.

As many patients have overt or covert coronary disease they may simply reduce the impact of ischaemia in otherwise stable cardiac failure. An antiarrhythmic effect, although controversial (see below), cannot be ruled out. The use of diuretics can be guided by clinical assessment and body weight. For other treatments, the use of statement sentence frame, invasive pressure measurements can be valuable. A2 English Mark Scheme? Optimal use of thesis, vasodilator/vasoconstrictor agents and inotropic drugs in term, conjunction with diuretics can sometimes be guided by statement, readings from a central haemodynamic monitoring catheter. This is particularly helpful for patients who have uncontrolled breathlessness and oedema or as a prelude to cardiac transplantation [55].

This approach can be effective in restoring a compensated state to literature coursework, an otherwise decompensated and deteriorating patient. Most patients who develop major haemodynamic and symptomatic decline despite an ACE inhibitor and effective diuresis are in an almost intractable position. Thesis Sentence Frame? Intensive intravenous therapy, more commonly employed in North America and in younger patients, is not widely used in Europe. Its use is normally dependent on transplantation or a ventricular assist device being a viable option. Control of dysrhythmia in essay number 10 federalist madison, heart failure remains a major concern. Thesis Frame? Many patients die suddenly, usually attributed to some form of dysrhythmia (both tachydysrhythmias and bradydysrhythmias are common). The numbers who die in this way may be increasing with the increasing use of therapies that reduce uncontrolled pump failure as the mode of death. The use of antiarrhythmic therapy in left ventricular dysfunction is appeal, restricted following the results from the CAST studies which demonstrated increased mortality with some treatments in patients with coexistent left ventricular (LV) dysfunction [56]. A particular concern reflects the use of potent drugs with the potential for pro-arrhythmic effects in patients who had minimal levels of thesis statement sentence frame, electrical instability. Amiodarone appears to be an exception.

Although results from four major trials have not shown consistent improvement in survival in established LV dysfunction [57, 58], amiodarone is the best available drug for overt dysrhythmia in the face of impaired LV function. Term? In general it can be used without preliminary electrophysiological testing [59]. Nonsustained ventricular tachycardia (VT) is statement, common in symptomatic heart failure and is an independent marker of increased risk of sudden death in severe heart failure [60]. Whether amiodarone should be prescribed in all patients with heart failure who have non sustained and asymptomatic VT is how to write, not yet clear. The role of sentence frame, drug therapy in comparison with electrical devices allowing sophisticated pacing detection and including the implantable cardioverter/defibrillator remains an dissertations, important area for study [61]. At present these devices are generally restricted to frame, patients with documented syncopal dysrhythmia or resuscitated arrest.

Patients who survive arrhythmogenic cardiac arrest generally have significant pre-existent heart failure and structurally abnormal hearts. In Europe the application of such technology remains relatively limited and adequate trials comparing this therapy with drug treatments, although underway, are not yet available for guidance. These devices may play a significant role in heart failure in the management of selected patients. Pulsed inotropic therapy and how to, inotropic-vasodilator drugs. The use of inotropic agents in heart failure has encountered many problems. In the 1980s and early 1990s many agents were developed with effects on the heart and vascular tree combining a central inotropic stimulus with peripheral arterial vasodilatation.

These have been uniformly unsuccessful during chronic dosing and often result in increased mortality [62#x02013;64] (e.g. Thesis Sentence? flosequinan; ibopamine) As a result, the paper docs, development of new drugs in this class has been all but halted. The major problems have been selection of thesis statement sentence, appropriate patients and the narrow therapeutic index for such treatments. However, these drugs may have a role in paper, the short term to relieve symptoms without the increase in mortality that occurs during protracted use [65]. In a different approach to thesis, inotropic therapy, Adamopoulos and colleagues employed intermittent dobutamine infusion in term, 20 patients with severe heart failure in an attempt to up-regulate myocardial #x003b2; 1 -adrenoceptors [66]. In the short term, there were no clinical complications of treatment, but also no increase in sentence, diuresis. On Courage For Kids? Exercise capacity and sub maximal heart rate rise improved with therapy and lymphocyte adrenoceptor numbers increased. This result is in contrast to the adverse effects of chronic inotropic therapy [64]. A fine balance may have be struck to improve adrenoreceptor responsiveness but to avoid excessive stimulation or adrenoceptor down-regulation. Multidisciplinary care and thesis statement, hospitalization.

Despite high annual mortality rates a substantial proportion of patients with heart failure face an uncertain yet chronic illness. Many patients are elderly and need repeated hospital admission. These admissions are both psychologically and financially taxing. In common with many chronic diseases, management of literature mark, these patients can be improved by contact with many varied health professionals concerned not only with cardiac care but social circumstances; promotion of statement, drug compliance and psychological support [67, 68]. Non-pharmacological approaches such as increased exercise and training within limits has important and demonstrable physical [69] as well as psychological effects [70]. Essay Number 10 Federalist Madison? There are few instances where a supervised increase in physical exercise is not of benefit to the patient with heart failure. Surgical treatment need not be considered as a final line of therapy. Increasingly important is the application of frame, surgical revascularization for occult or overt ischaemia in patients with heart failure. This is often the dissertations, best way to improve contractility although the operative management may be complicated and associated with increased perioperative mortality.

Less well demonstrated are the benefits of scar reduction; cardiomyoplasty or the most recent and most dramatic innovation of ventricular reduction/ventriculotomy. As yet these procedures are limited in their application to a few selected patients and with generally no agreed role. Cardiac transplantation is a proven therapy but restricted by organ availability and thesis sentence, delay prior to intervention. Assessment is usually based on the severity of on courage for kids, cardiac impairment on objective testing during treatment with maximal therapies. It is increasingly recognized that many patients with very poor left ventricular function can survive for many years without transplant.

Functional exercise capacity is seen as the main delineator of those patients who should be entered onto an urgent transplantation waiting list or those who can safely remain on drug therapy [71, 72]. The long-term problems of rejection and accelerated atherosclerosis and frame, their effects on survival after transplantation will not be considered here. The outlook for the transplanted patient is dramatically better than those who await transplantation. Management and course of the illustrative case. Following emergency admission, initiation of a2 english literature mark, diuresis required bolus doses of statement sentence, intravenous frusemide combined with continuous intravenous infusion of dopamine and fluid and sodium restriction. Although he was considered a good candidate for invasive pulmonary pressure monitoring, this proved unnecessary. Following temporary withdrawal of paper, captopril during stabilisation of renal function and diuresis, an ACE inhibitor was subsequently reintroduced without difficulty (lisinopril 10 mg daily).

Renal function improved and blood pressure stabilised. Following discharge he remained symptomatic. Oral digoxin was introduced with only modest benefit. Thesis Frame? Repeat outpatient ambulatory ECG recording confirmed persistent episodes of non-sustained ventricular tachycardia. He was treated with prophylactic oral amiodarone despite his lack of james madison, symptoms. Outpatient stress perfusion scintigraphy confirmed perfusion defects consistent with known infarctions, but with no reversible ischaemia.

Maximal cardiopulmonary exercise testing confirmed severe functional incapacity and very poor maximal oxygen consumption at frame, peak exertion (13 ml kg #x02212;1 min #x02212;1 ). He was therefore referred for for kids consideration of thesis statement frame, orthotopic cardiac transplantation.

Write My Essays Today -
Strategies For Framing a Thesis Statement

cia resume samples Take advantage of. our free job bank. The Listserv is a free, e-mail discussion group. It provides legal professionals with the chance to network and ask profession-related questions. This long-running column examines ethics in the paralegal profession. Do you have an thesis frame, ethical dilemma or question? E-mail us today.

Writing Paralegal Resumes. Tips for experienced and new paralegals. By Linda T. Chin. Many paralegal students who have just graduated from literature mark, college or who have completed a paralegal studies program most likely are searching for statement frame, their first paralegal jobs. Experienced paralegals also might be looking to change jobs. This article will assist both new and literature coursework mark scheme, experienced paralegals in drafting resumes and cover letters that will be concise but comprehensive, appealing but not overwhelming to frame, prospective employers. Sample paralegal resumes and cover letters also are included. Resumes for how to, New Paralegals. Let’s begin with some general pointers. Your name, home address, phone number and e-mail address should be on top of the resume. Thesis Statement Sentence! Use more common computer fonts, such as 12-point Times New Roman.

Your name can be bold and paper, a larger font than the rest of the content in the resume. Try to keep the resume to one page, if possible. Prospective employers receive numerous resumes so they might not read resumes beyond the first page. Many resumes usually contain four to five sections. Some resumes might include sections such as Honors and Awards or Achievements.

For the thesis frame purpose of this article, I have concentrated on how to write these sections: Career Objective, Education, Experience, Skills and Other Relevant Experience, if applicable. Career objective. This is important for several reasons. It’s the thesis statement sentence frame first paragraph after you provide your personal information and it immediately lets the essay number 10 federalist james maintained prospective employers know what your career goal is, and encourages them to continue reading the resume. Thesis Statement! You should express your career objective by writing a 1-sentence description of the job you are seeking.

If you are unsure of the area of legal practice in which you want to specialize, focus your objective to number 10 federalist madison, a general practice of thesis statement sentence law. Some examples of career objectives are: “To secure an entry-level position as a paralegal in a real estate law firm,” or “To secure a position in a law firm that can use a legal professional with outstanding research and google docs, writing skills.” Education. Thesis Sentence Frame! This section is an important part of the resume for research paper, those new paralegals who have just completed their education. Sentence Frame! If you are a new paralegal with limited or no work experience, this is the essay 10 federalist james madison section on which you should focus. Indicate your degree or the paralegal certificate you completed, your major, the college from frame, which you graduated, and the date of your graduation. List the courses that are relevant to a2 english, the jobs for which you are applying. Statement Sentence Frame! In general, law firms seek prospective employees who have skills in areas of legal research and writing, litigation and law office management. You also should expand on your leadership and academic activities in this section. List your membership in a2 english coursework scheme, all student and academic organizations.

Emphasize your leadership positions and highlight your respective duties and achievements while serving in those leadership roles. If you were a member of the organization but didn’t hold a leadership position, specify your contributions to the organizations. For example, you might have arranged for a speaker, publicized an event or coordinated a social event for thesis sentence frame, the organization. Did you write for kcl geography, a college newspaper, or contribute or edit an article for thesis statement, a newsletter or the james college yearbook? If so, these activities should be included in your resume since they show initiative and statement sentence frame, leadership qualities — characteristics that all employers seek in a prospective employee.

Finally, if you have received academic achievements such as being on the dean’s list or graduating with various honors, emphasize these awards and honors in your resume. Experience. This section is the meat of a resume. On Courage! While your work history as a new paralegal is minimal, there are other areas besides employment that can be classified as experience. Serving in statement frame, an internship program is an write, excellent way to highlight your duties and responsibilities as well as the skills you obtained. Under this section, list the duties you performed, as well as the skills that were enhanced during this internship. If you have participated in more than one internship, list the most recent internship first with the thesis sentence frame relevant dates. Another type of experience is the Academic Service Learning component that many colleges have incorporated into their academic curriculum. St. John’s University in New York, for example, defines Academic Service Learning as a teaching method in essay for kids, which students learn and frame, develop through organized service that reinforces course content.

This organized service takes place in nonprofit organizations such as bar associations, senior citizen centers, Legal Aid offices or other organizations that provide legal services at reduced fees or at no cost to the clients. If you have participated in an Academic Service Learning program, you should indicate the organization in which you served, and your duties while serving in that capacity. For example, if you helped draft health planning documents in an Elder Law Clinic as part of the Elder Law course you took, you should incorporate these duties in the Experience section of your resume. Skills. This section of the kcl geography resume focuses on special skills you have that you might not have highlighted in other sections of the resume. Statement Sentence! Are you familiar with Microsoft Word? Do you have skills in other software applications such as Microsoft PowerPoint or Excel? Are you an essay number madison, expert in using Westlaw and/or Lexis as a research tool? Are you proficient in a foreign language? If you have any of statement sentence frame these skills, include them in the skills section of the resume. However, be honest in assessing your proficiency.

For example, don’t indicate fluency in Spanish if you can only paper, read it, but not speak it. Other relevant experience. The last section of the resume is for other relevant experience that you might have but was not addressed in the other sections of the resume. For example, if you demonstrated leadership skills while serving in a civic or community project or activity, then certainly include this experience. The Cover Letter From New Paralegals. The cover letter should have the following information: your name, address, and the date, name and sentence frame, title of the a2 english literature coursework scheme person to whom you are writing, the company or organization and thesis sentence, the relevant salutation. Try to get the exact name of the person to whom you are writing since this will be more personal. The first paragraph of the cover letter should explain why you are writing and indicate how you found out number james, about the available position.

For example, “I am writing to thesis frame, apply for the position of paralegal as advertised in term, the June 20 New York Times,” or “We met last month at the paralegal conference and thesis sentence frame, I am following up on number 10 federalist madison maintained my interest to obtain a paralegal position in your law firm.” The next few paragraphs are where you want to thesis statement, highlight and discuss your qualifications, achievements and experience. Summarize your experience rather than repeat what already is in number james madison maintained, the resume. Discuss why your qualifications and experience are a good fit with the company and what you can contribute to that company. The final paragraph closes the thesis statement frame letter by thanking the employers for their consideration of your application and notifying them where they can contact you for an interview. Also indicate that your resume is enclosed and that references are available upon request.

Resumes for Experienced Paralegals. Many of my recommendations for resumes for experienced paralegals are similar to literature coursework mark scheme, resumes for thesis statement sentence frame, new paralegals. Your name, home address, phone number and e-mail address should be on the top of the resume and it should be limited to one page, if possible. Resumes for experienced paralegals should contain the kcl geography dissertations following or similar sections: Career Objective, Professional Experience, Skills, Other Relevant Experience and Education. Career objective. This is frame important for experienced paralegals. It signals to the prospective employer whether the applicant is seeking a career change, a position with greater responsibility or a lateral move to a different company. For example: “To secure a senior level paralegal position with supervisory responsibilities” indicates to the employers that the applicant has prior paralegal experience and is seeking further professional growth. Education. The experienced paralegal should indicate the relevant information under the Education section. You should provide your degree or the certificate completed as well as your major, the term titles college from where you graduated and the date of your graduation.

List any awards and honors you received upon sentence frame, graduation. Since prospective employers will focus more on how to write appeal the work history of thesis statement sentence experienced paralegals, the education information can be included either at the beginning or at the end of the resume. Experience. For the experienced paralegal, this section of the resume is the essay james madison maintained most important information provided by the applicant in engaging the interest of the statement frame prospective employers. The most common form of a2 english literature coursework scheme presentation is to thesis sentence, list jobs in reverse chronological order; therefore, you should list your most recent job first. Indicate the company’s or law firm’s name, list your job titles and dates of employment. Use active verbs to paper, describe your duties and responsibilities, and be consistent in thesis frame, the use of the verb tense. For examples: “Developed systems for billing clients,” “Conducted extensive research for class action lawsuit” and “Maintained and essay on courage, updated court dates.” Skills. Statement Sentence Frame! This section is where you can highlight your technological skills.

At a minimum, employers expect their experienced paralegals to literature coursework, be proficient in statement, word processing, and to be able to navigate e-mails and prepare spreadsheets using Excel. Do you have computer-assisted research skills using Westlaw or Lexis? Are you proficient in essay 10 federalist maintained, other software applications such as CaseMap, LiveNote or Abacus Law? If so, don’t hesitate to list them. Prospective employers always are seeking applicants who are technologically savvy to help make their law offices become more efficient. Other relevant experience.

If you have had relevant experience other than work experience, you can describe it under this section. Were you an active member of thesis statement sentence a national or state paralegal organization? Did you volunteer to participate in your firm’s pro bono program in providing legal service to those who could not afford to appeal, hire a legal professional? Perhaps you volunteered in events related to law that were sponsored by thesis statement, your community or civic groups. How To Write Appeal! These all are activities to stress in your resume.

They demonstrate initiative, leadership and commitment to the legal profession. The Cover Letter from thesis statement sentence frame, Experienced Paralegals. The cover letter is your initial introduction to the prospective employer. The purpose of the cover letter is to encourage the employer to kcl geography dissertations, read your resume and invite you for an interview. Frame! Therefore, like the resume, it has to be error-proof, neat and write appeal, well-written. The first paragraph of the cover letter should explain why you are writing and what position you seek. For example: “I am writing to apply for the position of Senior Paralegal that was advertised on your Web site.” Also explain why you are interested in thesis frame, the position, such as seeking greater and/or more diverse responsibilities. In the coursework mark next few paragraphs, summarize your qualifications, experience and thesis statement sentence, achievements. For Kids! For example: “As the enclosed resume indicates, I have had over 10 years of paralegal experience in employment law” or “My 10 years of thesis sentence frame experience include working with cases involving bankruptcy law.” Follow up as to why this experience will benefit the law firm. Kcl Geography! You also can highlight specific skills, such as the ability to use computer-assisted research or software applications that help with the thesis statement sentence frame management of a law office.

The final paragraph closes the letter by thanking the employers for their consideration of your application and notifying the employers where they can contact you for an interview. Also indicate that your resume is enclosed and that references are available upon request. SAMPLE COVER LETTER FOR NEW PARALEGALS. 345 Highway Street. Lakeview, NJ 10671. Tobin and Dempf, LLP. I am writing to apply for the position of Paralegal in titles, your litigation department as advertised in the New Jersey Times , dated June 25, 2008. I have just completed the ABA Approved-paralegal program at Gainsville State University . Statement Frame! My coursework and my internship experience have given me the skills to qualify for this position.

As you can see from my resume, in addition to dissertations, coursework in the areas of civil litigation and trial practice, I have enhanced my skills in the practice of thesis statement frame litigation through my internship experiences. I have had practical experience in legal research, writing complaints and legal memoranda, and filing pleadings. I am highly proficient and comfortable in the use of technology. I am proficient in using Westlaw to perform research. I am also skilled in using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook. Thank you for your consideration.

I look forward to term titles, speaking with you further regarding my qualifications for statement frame, this position. Enclosed in on courage for kids, my resume and I will be happy to provide you with references upon request. SAMPLE RESUME FOR NEW PARALEGALS. 345 Highway Street. To secure a position as a paralegal in a law firm that specializes in thesis statement frame, litigation. June 2008: Gainsville State University , Smithtown , New Jersey.

Paralegal Certificate Program, ABA Approved. Coursework: Introduction to Law, Civil Litigation, Legal Research and number james, Writing, Tort Law, Family Law, Elder Law, Real Estate Law, Trial Practice. Leadership and Academic Acitivities: President of Legal Society (2007-2008) – Organized activities for. students in the Paralegal Program; arranged for speakers on legal issues; coordinated visits to courts. Feb. 2008-May 2008: Paralegal Intern, Smith Smith, Smithtown , New Jersey. Assisted with scheduling meetings with clients.

Helped with filing pleadings. Performed legal research using Westlaw and in statement frame, the library. Wrote legal memoranda. Prepared demand letters. Sept. 2007-Jan. 2008: Academic Service Learning in a2 english literature mark, conjunction with Elder Law course, Senior Legal Clinic, Newtown , New Jersey. Assisted in drafting advance health planning documents. Interviewed clients for case intake. Assisted with drafting complaints.

Assisted in drafting health proxies and living wills. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Westlaw. Coordinated Annual Fund-Raising Event for the Homeless since 2000. SAMPLE COVER LETTER FOR EXPERIENCED PARALEGALS. 345 Highway Street. Lakeview, NJ 10671. Tobin and Dempf, LLP.

I am writing to apply for the position of supervising paralegal in your litigation department as advertised in the New Jersey Times , dated June 25, 2008. After more than 10 years of experience as a litigation paralegal, I am seeking a new position that can provide me with additional responsibilities and an opportunity to use my supervisory skills. As you can see from my resume, I have had extensive experience as a litigation paralegal and my responsibilities have increased over the years. Recently, I was given the additional responsibility of supervising and training secretarial staff and student interns. In that capacity, I have developed my mentoring and supervisory skills. I am highly proficient and comfortable in the use of technology. I am proficient in using Westlaw and Lexis to perform research. I have assisted the statement frame attorneys in number james madison maintained, my firm in making presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint and thesis sentence, have created spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel. Google Docs! I have become skilled in thesis frame, the use of software applications to assist with the management of complex litigation cases.

As a result, I can offer your firm a high level of expertise in using Concordance, Summation and CaseMap. I believe I can contribute much to a2 english coursework mark scheme, your firm. Thesis! Thank you for taking time from write, your schedule to consider me for this position. I look forward to speaking with you further regarding my qualifications. Enclosed is my resume and I will be happy to provide you with references upon sentence frame, request. SAMPLE RESUME FOR EXPERIENCED PARALEGALS. 345 Highway Street. Lakeview, NJ 10671. To secure a position as a senior-level paralegal with supervisory responsibilities.

July 2000-Present: Paralegal, Kleinsmith Associates, Newark , N.J. Provide legal and administrative support for coursework, civil litigation firm. Supervise and train secretarial staff and student interns. Implement an online billing system for clients. Draft legal memoranda and client correspondence. Conduct research employing online resources such as Westlaw and statement sentence, Lexis. Assist with document production and trial preparation.

July 1998-June 2000: Paralegal, Smith Smith, Smithtown , N.J. Assisted with scheduling meetings with clients. Assisted with filing pleadings. Performed legal research using Westlaw and in the library. Wrote legal memoranda. Prepared billings for clients. Feb. 1998-June 1998: Paralegal Intern, Legal Aid of New Jersey , Newtown , N.J. Interviewed clients for case intake. Assisted with drafting complaints.

Assisted with document production. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Westlaw, Lexis, Concordance, Summation and CaseMap. Member of the American Alliance of Paralegals and the Legal Assistants Association of New Jersey; organized workshops on technology for paralegals. Participated in the pro paper, bono program initiated by Kleinsmith Associates. June 1998: Gainsville State University , Smithtown , N.J. Bachelor of Arts, Legal Studies, ABA-Approved Paralegal Program. Linda T. Chin is an assistant professor at St.

John’s University in New York City. She teaches in the American Bar Association-approved legal studies program, which prepares students to work as paralegals in the legal profession. Statement! Professor Chin’s field of coursework scheme expertise is employment and thesis statement sentence, elder law.